Honored Contributor

WhWhat it's like to live with someone with early stages of dementia

I go into the bathroom to clean and find both toothbrushes are exactly the same and both are green. I ask DH how we come to both have the exact same toothbrush and he said he got them from the dentist yesterday. I sigh. I throw them both in the trash and go to the drugstore and buy 2 identical toothbrushes only one is pink and one is blue. When i come home I explain to him that his new toothbrush is blue and he should always use the BLUE toothbrush. He wants the green one from the dentist. I explain that I could not tell them apart so I had to throw them away and buy the new ones, and his is blue.He says he wants the same exact one as me - I show him that they are exactly the same except the color so we can tell which one is which. He is still not satisfied. We had to drive all the way to the dentist ofice to get new ones from there - his is green and mine is pink , but I decided to be safe I put mine in a case and in a drawer instead of the holder in the BR. When he is having good days - most of the time - no problems at all but when he isn't - oh my - it is really a challenge.

Honored Contributor

Re: WhWhat it's like to live with someone with early stages of dementia

@151949And that's just one of the hundreds of little ways his life and yours are fraying.  It's frightening and exhausting.  I wish you strength as you go forward with your DH.  It's a time of life that teaches us lessons we never wanted to learn.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops Boy you hit the nail on the head. I was so tired  and depressed after the toothbrush incident I just cried.

Honored Contributor

Hugs to you. It's a hard and difficult path and one you usually wind up walking alone. 

I understand and can commiserate. Again, hugs.

Honored Contributor

Do you know for sure he has dementia?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Oh I know exactly what its like to live with someone with Dimentia. I was my dads caregiver. Wow very, very challenging. I did hire a paid caregiver that was a god send for me. My brother would come to town about once a month to relieve me on the weekends. Its a long, difficult road ahead. My best to you.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Blessings to you @151949.  It must be so hard to watch someone you love struggle so. It must be a real challenge for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

My sincerest thoughts are with you and I hope that you have some help because this can be overwhelming.  You need to get away for an hour or two at least several times a week just for your sanity.

Hopefully, he is on meds and that should help.  In the meantime, what I would do is get him a green toothbrush (maybe more) and keep one out for you so that he sees two.  However, the one that I would personally use would be put away after each use.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I can't imagine it 24/7. I'd call it more than a challenge. 

My mom has been diagnosed & it is extremely difficult for me even though I don't live with her. She is in assisted living but I am the one taking her to Doctor appts, shopping, etc. All conversations are hard every single day.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband was diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment this year. I know what may well lie ahead. We took my granddaughter out to dinner at an Asian restaurant last week and my husband asked us innumerable times if we had ordered tea. My granddaughter looked at me with fear in her eyes. It was the first time she had seen her grandfather's cognitive change.