Honored Contributor

Re: WhWhat it's like to live with someone with early stages of dementia

I have an idea what you are going through, I was my dad's  caregiver after my mom died.  I wish you the best on this journey. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@151949 my heart goes out to you. You do have to be good to yourself when you are able.....it is the only way you can keep going. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Do you know for sure he has dementia?

Yes my question as well - do you know for certain? 

ETA - if he was diagnosed, I am sorry.  It is a very hard road.

Honored Contributor

Was your husband officially diagnosed with early dementia, @151949?  If so, would you tell me how that was done?

The toothbrush thing would be frustrating:/

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949

My heart goes out to you.

My stepmother suffers from dementia and when he was alive I helped my father care for her.  I attended a number of classes and was taught, you need to choose your battles.  In the case of the toothbrushes if someone cared that much about having a green toothbrush, it would have been easier to allow him/her keep both green toothbrushes and keep your toothbrush elsewhere.  If you worry about germs and not knowing if he was using his toothbrush, simply buy 2 new green ones. 

You mentioned your husband drove to the dentist's office.  Have you considered taking your husband's license before he either gets lost or causes an accident?

edit

I reread, you said WE drove.  I hope it meant, you are doing the driving.  The trip back to Florida will be a long for you.  Take your time and be safe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"We had to drive to drive all the way to the dentist"? Maybe i am not familiar with his physical or mental health, thus you do the driving.

Gotta be something i am missing here.

ETA: Sorry, i didn't read the total topic of your thread. Did not know about the dementia.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My heart goes out to you.  I lost my mother to dementia 4 years ago and I wish I would have been more patient and embraced her illness.  She had a hard time embracing it herself so I think that is why I had a hard time of it.  My advise is take it one day at a time and ride the ride.  It will be a ride but find some lightness in it all.  Love yourself and love him.  Take walks when you can. 

Regular Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@151949

My heart goes out to you.

My stepmother suffers from dementia and when he was alive I helped my father care for her.  I attended a number of classes and was taught, you need to choose your battles.  In the case of the toothbrushes if someone cared that much about having a green toothbrush, it would have been easier to allow him/her keep both green toothbrushes and keep your toothbrush elsewhere.  If you worry about germs and not knowing if he was using his toothbrush, simply buy 2 new green ones. 

You mentioned your husband drove to the dentist's office.  Have you considered taking your husband's license before he either gets lost or causes an accident?

My mother had dementia and I totally agree with everything you said.  Picking your battles is very important.  Keep the 2 green toothbrushes in the holder and put the one you will actually use in a drawer or somewhere where he won't notice it.  Don't make a big deal out of it and go on with your normal routine.  Actually, this will be a very minor occurance as you go down this road.  Some things aren't that important and you can find little ways around them but don't rehash them in your mind...just smile and go on.   

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry for what you are living through. Hope you have a support network, and take the necessary time to care for yourself. 

Super Contributor

I feel for you.   Is there any way that you can have someone come in to give you a break so that you can get away for a while?  It is so hard to see and live with.   Hope you find support that will help you live through this.   Not the path we would ever imagine our life would take.   Sending blessings.  

I'd like to.share a little bit of my dad's story.

My dad had dementia.  Mom broke her leg and was hospitalized.  I came on weekends to care for him.   He would go into the bathroom to shave and turn on the water.   Five minutes later he would come out and say how scruffy he felt and go to shave again.   

He would ask where mom was and after telling him his jaw would tremble and he would flop down on the couch only to repeat this every few minutes.

August 16th marks ten years of his passing.  Mom passed on May 16 ten years ago too.  I still miss them and wish I had more time.