Respected Contributor

Much to my surprise.  But as soon as I started to itch on my shoulder blade I knew.  I was surprised because I had shingles in my 20s and they say it is rare to get them again.  I had the Zostavax vaccine years ago,   but my PCP never told me I needed to get it every 5 years, but had recommended to get the newer vaccine.  So I ended in Urgent Care to get the valtrex and hope this is soon just a memory.

Life is just ironic sometimes.  DH & I for the past month have been searching for a place to get the Shingrix vaccine, but it is in short supply where we live.

Esteemed Contributor

I’ve had shingles 4 times!! It’s not fun.Although each time was less severe than the previous one.

I hope you get better quickly!!

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Much to my surprise.  But as soon as I started to itch on my shoulder blade I knew.  I was surprised because I had shingles in my 20s and they say it is rare to get them again.  I had the Zostavax vaccine years ago,   but my PCP never told me I needed to get it every 5 years, but had recommended to get the newer vaccine.  So I ended in Urgent Care to get the valtrex and hope this is soon just a memory.

Life is just ironic sometimes.  DH & I for the past month have been searching for a place to get the Shingrix vaccine, but it is in short supply where we live.

@Allegheny, I 'm sorry for you, hopefully you'll be feeling better soon. I actually got the new vaccine, it is a two part vaccine, I had a really hard time finding a pharmacy that had the vaccine in, as the CDC is limiting the amount each pharmacy gets. I was told I wouldn't have to get the vaccine again.

Honored Contributor

Hope they were caught in time.  I never want to  experience them. The commercials are unpleasant enough. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   Thank you for the kind thoughts.  It really isn't bad, though I feel a little fatigued. I was just surprised.   To boot I was just at the dermatologist 4-5 days previous.  

DH & I are suppose to be able to get the vaccine thru the Minute Clinic at CVS (paid by our supplemental insurance) but when we went there last month, their staff gave us grief.  So after a conversation with the National Minute Clinic who verified our supplemental is to be billed we are going to try again.  I just have to clear with my PCP when it is OK to get it after the current outbreak.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, no! So sorry to read your post. Sending wishes for a milder case than before and a quick recovery. I have also had my first shot, but have been on a waiting list for the second shot for four months at my PCP's office. Am getting anxious about my six month time-frame and beginning to search for other places. So far, it's not looking very positive. Seems the vaccines are in short supply nationwide. (Wonder if Medicare & BC-BS will pay for another first shot if I don't get my second shot in time? Smiley Frustrated ) Keeping you in my thoughts. @Allegheny

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Hope they were caught in time.  I never want to  experience them. The commercials are unpleasant enough. 

@AuntG  Me too, but the rash had already started, so I don't know for sure.  Since I had it before and had the old vaccine, it is only a small patch about 3 inches long.  Keeping fingers crossed the medication stopped the spead.  The first time I had them (29) I didn't know what it was and scratched my skin raw.  I still have the scar about my left breast. That was a total mess.

Esteemed Contributor

I got the Shingles vaccine about a year ago, so did my hubby.  Only problem he got the Shingles twice after getting the shot.  SO I AM GOING TO LEAVE IT ALONE NEXT TIME  AROUND for him anyway.  

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady  I know....isn't this just a bear.  They advise to get these vaccines, then they aren't available.   That is beyond annoying for us all.  I wish they were available at our PCP's office.  The reason they told us previously with the Zostravax was it had to be stored at specific temperatures which they weren't capable of doing.

Respected Contributor

Wow @bonnielu makes one wonder if he didn't get the vaccine if he would not have gotten shingles.  I concur with your and his decision to let it be for him.