Esteemed Contributor

Suggestions for itching from unknown source

Looked in the bathroom cabinet and putting a cream from a hospital stay unknown. Don't know if something I ate or cat fleas. Some raised welts. If you had something like this what cream did you use to feel better?

Honored Contributor

Re: Suggestions for itching from unknown source

@halfpint1

For a day or two I’d try OTC 1% steroid cream unless you have issues that conflict with it. Only for a day or 2, as steroids thin your skin.  After that time if you have problems still, seek MD advice.

*** Are you in an area, or have you recently been in an area where you might have come across a brow recluse spider?  If so, or you think it possible seek help now.

Best Wishes!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Remember a friend told me she had allergies experience symptoms of itching. 

Benadryl worked within minutes. Please speak with your Physician. 

Respected Contributor

I think I'd put hydrogen peroxide on it, because that's all I have in the house.  Think I have a few mosquito bites and will see if that makes a difference. 

Valued Contributor

Benedryl capsules and Benedryl cream on the hives. See a doctor! When I suddenly was covered with hives from eating shrimp, the nurse at the local Emergency Room told me to take Benedryl, and said if I start having trouble breathing, get in to the hospital right away.

Honored Contributor

Do you have hives?   I had them once as a teenager, and never knew what caused them.   I would try Benedryl.

Esteemed Contributor

I broke out in hives and never knew why.  My doctor told me to take Benadryl and it worked immediately.  

Respected Contributor

Go to a doctor. I had itching on my stomach for three days. It was not bad, just annoying. When it didn’t go away I went to the dr. I had Lyme Disease. Good thing I did not ignore it.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Looked in the bathroom cabinet and putting a cream from a hospital stay unknown. Don't know if something I ate or cat fleas. Some raised welts. If you had something like this what cream did you use to feel better?

@halfpint1

I agree with the Benadryl suggestions.  Maybe just try Calamine lotion -- something very bland and gentle.  If in a few days no better, no relief, go to a doctor.  Best wishes.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

If you don't know what that cream in your medicine cabinet is you should throw it away.