Honored Contributor

Pharmacist Gag laws are gone as of yesterday

[ Edited ]

I heard this on my local news this morning because it was sponsored by a GA representative. My local pharmacist I worked for always spoke freely but...

Apparently there are or now were pharmacists at certain companies and via Medicare participation who by law or by insurer contract clauses could not tell you what the cheapest price was for your meds. 

For example, if it was cheaper to pay out of pocket or use your insurance they couldn't tell you.  They can now. 

Feel free to ask your pharmacist how to get the lowest price.  They are gagged no more. 

This is a national law so it applies everywhere.  Know the Lowest Price Act applies to Medicare and Patient Right to Know Drug Prices Act applies to the group and individual health plans.

Just makes the human beings you see to pick up your meds more involved in helping you get the best price.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Pharmacist Gag laws are gone as of yesterday

[ Edited ]

Thanks for sharing. IMO they should have already been able to do this. What a crock. 

It only took 1 time for them prescribing me something outrageous in cost. I told the pharmacist to keep it. I told my doctor don't ever do that again because I'm not paying what they want for the new stuff.

If I have to take something I want an older drug that's been on the market with a track record plus lower costs.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Laura14.  I'm surprised such a law would be passed over the certain objections of the healthcare lobby.  I may be cynical but there must be something else going on.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr  @Nightowlz  Took the words right off of my keyboard!  We really needed a law to undo a ridiculous underhanded thing like this?  To deny information to human beings who are on a budget and sick....Whoever started that needs a jail cell!  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@ValuSkr  @Nightowlz  Took the words right off of my keyboard!  We really needed a law to undo a ridiculous underhanded thing like this?  To deny information to human beings who are on a budget and sick....Whoever started that needs a jail cell!  

@Laura14

IMO whoever started Big Pharma needs a jail cell.

We should all be using natural drugs that were put here on earth just for that reason. Natural things that don't cause all the side effects.

This won't happen since you cannot put a patent on the stuff.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  Actually a lot of the drugs with patents do come from plants or natural sources like the opiate group or antibiotics. 

I hear you though!  I am a supplement queen because I never want the expense of meds.    Speaking of, HSN just put up more specials on AL Vitamins for today.  I may be increasing my collection...Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

And then there's me!  I have yet to find a supplement that has done anything for me except maybe fish oil for its omega effects and even that has me wondering whether my dollars are wasted.

I've been fortunate to need minimal drugs, but a few months without big pharma drugs for BP sent me to the ER. That hiatus was at my GP's suggestion - but never again. Luckily a generic works well and my annual cost is under $16.

Needless to say - what works for one body may not work for another. That seems to be true for serious things like meds and not so serious like clothes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nightowlz  Actually a lot of the drugs with patents do come from plants or natural sources like the opiate group or antibiotics. 

I hear you though!  I am a supplement queen because I never want the expense of meds.    Speaking of, HSN just put up more specials on AL Vitamins for today.  I may be increasing my collection...Smiley Very Happy

@Laura14

We must both be supplement Queens. LOL!!!

DH asks me how I know all this stuff. I told him is called Research. 

I knew some did but did not know if all of them did or not. Too bad they chemically changed the natural version which IMO is what causes the side effects & make it dangerous.

I know they get Digoxin from Foxglove & Red Rice
Yeast has a chemical they use in the statin Lovastatin.

Need to go check Andrew's specials.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  I agree with you.  I just bought AL UFF.  I think that's as natural as it gets.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  Most drug effectiveness or allergic reactions are due to genetics.  That why we have aspirin and ibuprofen and naproxen sodium and tylenol over the counter for pain relievers.  Depending on your body, one works best while the others usually don't even touch you.