Honored Contributor

Re: Weight Watchers for Diabetics?

On 2/4/2015 jackthebear said:
On 2/3/2015 LipstickDiva said:
On 2/3/2015 jackthebear said:

Have you talked to a Diabetic Educator? Perhaps ask your MD for a reference if you have not done already. Or read Dr Bernstein's book,

Watching consumption of all carbs is the way to go and WW works with points not carbs. You could eat all of your points in junk food theoretically and still be in range.

Yes this can happen diabetic or not. But that's not the way they intend the program to be and anyone on the program and properly working the program knows that. And if this is what one does, they aren't going to lose weight.

I know that, and didn't intend to be snarky, but I did WW and know someone with Diabetes, so I wanted to add that some extra education might be helpful. There is tons of info out there

Actually, my reply came out snarky! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I too did WW and we used to have many people who started the program and the first thing they did was try and figure out how to fit all the normal junk food they ate into the program. Then they weren't losing and would blame the program. And when one of the WW employees or the leader asked to see their journal and help them, they complained that they were within points!

Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/3/2015 patticakes said:

Thanks, everyone, for the input. Great advice.

To Kushii-I, too, am a Type 2, on Metformin since Nov. 2014 and doing quite well. My numbers have been good every since then; however, still need to loose more weight and need to get better at exercise since I have arthritis as well and exercise is not always pleasant when I'm having pain. Would love to keep in touch with you either here on the "boards" or otherwise. It would be great for me to have a "buddy" as well!

We have all been told our entire lives that we MUST exercise to lose weight. That is NOT true as many disabled people have shown us.

And there is new research which backs that up. Of course movement and exercise is good for everyone, but not everyone can do much. People in wheel chairs, with missing limbs, and seriously ill.

Yes, yes, yes. So many people can't exercise or just don't want to exercise so they don't even try watching what they eat because they claim they aren't going to lose weight.

I remember hearing from a dietician something along the lines of "you cannot exercise enough to overcome poor eating." I cannot remember the exact phrase but basically she was saying you cannot eat whatever you want and exercise enough to take off all you have overeaten. There is also the saying that you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym which basically means the same thing.

I'm not advocating not exercising, just saying that if you can't you don't have to be overweight.

Valued Contributor

Kushii-Just got a chance to see your posting above and will be sending you an email. I look forward to ""buddying up"". I'll email you sometime today.

Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 kushii said:
On 2/3/2015 NoelSeven said:
On 2/3/2015 patticakes said: Kushiro-I'd love to but don't know how to private message on the boards. If you find a way, let me know. Anyone knowing how to do this, let us know.

Here's what other people have done:

Set up a temporary email, like on gmail. You can come out and post it here, but once you get together, making sure the correct person responds, destroy the gmail address and use your private email for just each other.

You may get a few responses from not-so-nice people at first, but ignore them and set up your contact for just the two of you. The not-so-nice people won't know your real contact email addresses.

Thanks Noel! I thought of that! There are ways!

Patticakes, I will post an email for us to connect. I need a bit of time tho!

Have fun! Smile IMO the buddy system is the way to go.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: eating junk on WW or any diet...

IMO the thing to remember is you're trying to live a healthy life. Instead of just fitting your consumption into a number or points or calories, it's a journey on getting to know what's good for you and what your particular body needs.

For example... I would like to cut out all red meat from my diet, in fact I did for years. But my tests recently showed a problem with anemia, so my MD wants me to eat a small serving of red meat once a week. I get grass fed beef because it's the healthiest for my situation.

High fiber is best for us all and helps clean the arteries. For an afternoon snack, there is a good choice of Fiber One bars and brownies. It says right on the package that one is 2 WW points. They have cookies and brownies to choose from. And something like a rice crispy bar drizzled with caramel & chocolate.

I'm looking for their new streusel bar. It looks like it has a jam filling.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

On 2/4/2015 LipstickDiva said:
On 2/4/2015 jackthebear said:
On 2/3/2015 LipstickDiva said:
On 2/3/2015 jackthebear said:

Have you talked to a Diabetic Educator? Perhaps ask your MD for a reference if you have not done already. Or read Dr Bernstein's book,

Watching consumption of all carbs is the way to go and WW works with points not carbs. You could eat all of your points in junk food theoretically and still be in range.

Yes this can happen diabetic or not. But that's not the way they intend the program to be and anyone on the program and properly working the program knows that. And if this is what one does, they aren't going to lose weight.

I know that, and didn't intend to be snarky, but I did WW and know someone with Diabetes, so I wanted to add that some extra education might be helpful. There is tons of info out there

Actually, my reply came out snarky! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

I too did WW and we used to have many people who started the program and the first thing they did was try and figure out how to fit all the normal junk food they ate into the program. Then they weren't losing and would blame the program. And when one of the WW employees or the leader asked to see their journal and help them, they complained that they were within points!

Lipstick

no worries at all