Respected Contributor

Way To Go, MIT!

[ Edited ]

Engineers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are researching skin patches that can develop images of internal organs by leaving them on for 48 hours. These will possibly be able to replace x-rays and other procedures.

Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3  that's amazing!

Esteemed Contributor
It would be fabulous if these could replace mammograms and some mri imaging. I just don't know why they can't find something less painful to check for breast cancer. And re MRIs, they will have to drug me if I ever have to have another closed mri procedure. Never open your eyes inside the tube, never. Ugh.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

How can a skin patch develop an image of an internal organ?  I take it the skin patch isn't worn on the skin.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr     It uses ultrasound technology.

Respected Contributor

@kate2357 wrote:
It would be fabulous if these could replace mammograms and some mri imaging. I just don't know why they can't find something less painful to check for breast cancer. And re MRIs, they will have to drug me if I ever have to have another closed mri procedure. Never open your eyes inside the tube, never. Ugh.

Thermography. It's painless and catches things much sooner.

Esteemed Contributor
@ThinkingOutLoud

Thank you for this info. I have never heard of thermography. Do you know if most insurance companies cover this like they cover the squish the life out of me machine?

I have 12 months before my next mammogram and it would be nice to not dread it so much.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

This is great news....i think that 10 years from now our medical system will seem barbaric.  Medicine is exploring new directions and it is exciting and inspiring.  (Some very ancient techniques are resurfacing also with a new emphasis on the science.). Thanks @PickyPicky3  for bringing this innovation to our attention.  Good news!

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Any specific internal organs used for this testing? I could see why many of the life sustaining major organs might be harder for this innovation to develope accurate and clear images.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn   Too early in the research process. Google MIT medical skin patches