Trusted Contributor

Husband’s Root Canal-UPDATE

[ Edited ]

My husband had a root canal Tues and he's been in terrible pain now on day three. He called the dentist and the office manager said that some pain is normal. Some pain?! He has shooting pain in his jaw every 20 minutes or so and it lasts for 5-8 minutes.  He's been taking Advil and Tylenol, antibiotics, and even took Tylenol with codine and still no relief. He called the office and was told to wait another day and if the pain was still bad, he could come in.  The poor guy can't sleep or work and he just wants relief. Has anyone else ever endured this? This can't be normal.

Thanks for any input.

UPDATE-Husband was given a new antibiotic by the endodontist. The severity and duration of his pain has subsided a lot. It must have been an infection which the first antibiotic wasn't working/strong enough. He's almost his old self again. Thank you all for your compassion and advice. 🥰

Honored Contributor

Re: Husband’s Root Canal

[ Edited ]

Urgent Care or the ER?

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a "dry socket".  A root canal sould only be slightly sore.

Call first thing in the am and don't discount the pain!

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y 

I agree with @Group 5 minus 1 urgent care / ER may be your best solution even if it is late tonight.  Any kind of head issue with possible infection can be very dangerous and 2 days is a long time for continued pain while on antibiotics.  They may not be specific to his situation, better to get it checked out.

Respected Contributor

@Lisa Y 

I have had a root canal; it is not a pleasant experience at all.  However, I DID NOT have the severe, extended bouts of pain you are describing in your husbands's atermath.  Poor guy.  He needs help.  

Respected Contributor

With dental work  I have always felt the first 24 hours are the worst.  After that it should gradually stabilize and improve.  For sure, call the dentist first thing in the morning and demand a visit ASAP.

Honored Contributor

You'd think it would kill these dentists to prescribe A few pills of something like Vicodin that might actually help.  Years ago, I had many root canals and never had a problem but was always offered Vicodin which I declined.  Now when people really need a painkiller, they're treated like addicts.  Makes me furious.  Tylenol is worthless for pain control.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

It sounds like dry socket.  Regardless, call the dentist and insist on an appointment.  Root canals should not hurt that much.  I have had more than my share.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You'd think it would kill these dentists to prescribe A few pills of something like Vicodin that might actually help.  Years ago, I had many root canals and never had a problem but was always offered Vicodin which I declined.  Now when people really need a painkiller, they're treated like addicts.  Makes me furious.  Tylenol is worthless for pain control.

@Kachina624     Yeah...you and me BOTH.    I still have about 5 teeth left that need to be replaced with implants.    Neither the dentist or oral surgeon can prescribe opiods.   "Arizona Law" or something.    Lucky for me, I come from a "grin-and-bear-it" family.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

No it's not normal. I've had 3. My endodontist  said if it hurts, it wasn't done right, it should not be painful. Some minor discomfort maybe, but that should subside relatively quickly. One of mine was a very infected tooth. It was the most pain I've ever had. The root canal was painless. I felt better immediately. I would seek out another endodontist immediately.  Everyone I've ever known that had severe pain after a root canal lost the tooth. Not saying that's the rule, just what I've seen. I hope your husband feels better very soon!