Honored Contributor

Do You Think Taking Biotin Does Help Hair and Nails?

I have taken it before and quit, and I am wondering if it really helps anyone?  Any thoughts would be appreciated! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Think Taking Biotin Does Help Hair and Nails?

I take 10,000 mcg daily for the last 19 years. I cant swear to its help, but I take it as an insurance policy hoping it helps my thinning hair in some way. I have always had long strong nails. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Absolutely not!  I took large doses of it for well over a year and saw no change whatsoever.  I don't think anything will improve hair and nails.  Its a matter if genetics, so blame your parents.  Our mom had good hair, bad nails just as my sister and I both have.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I don't know if it would help. I don't like to take vitamins or supplements except for vitaimins B12 & D. However, there are foods that contain good amounts of biotin. Avocados, bananas, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spinach, & cauliflower are some. I eat those foods all the time, yet as I'm aging, my nails are still soft and break easily. I've resorted to keeping my nails as short as possible to prevent painful rips. Since I stopped coloring my hair, it's gotten much more healthy. No more dry dull lifeless hair. It's just going shiny silver naturally. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

I don't know if it would help. I don't like to take vitamins or supplements except for vitaimins B12 & D. However, there are foods that contain good amounts of biotin. Avocados, bananas, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spinach, & cauliflower are some. I eat those foods all the time, yet as I'm aging, my nails are still soft and break easily. I've resorted to keeping my nails as short as possible to prevent painful rips. Since I stopped coloring my hair, it's gotten much more healthy. No more dry dull lifeless hair. It's just going shiny silver naturally. 

@Sweet Kitties Thanks for mentioning it. Those food are mainstays of our diet.  I should be right up there!  LOL!!

Respected Contributor

Nope. Zero, zip, nada.  Took it for a long time for thinning hair and it did nothing.

Plus you need to be careful with higher doses as it can mess with your hormone levels.

Honored Contributor

I took lots of biotin for many years. The only thing it did was make my hair coarse and wiry...like it was over-processed or something and I didn't do anything to my hair except wash it. Needless to say I stopped taking it. 

Honored Contributor

I know for sure it makes my nails grow faster.  Can't say it makes them stronger as I already had strong nails.  I take it sort of as help against thinning hair caused by hypothyroidism.  My doctor is aware that I take it .

Respected Contributor

No, it didn't help me or my husband and sons.

Esteemed Contributor

Physicians in my area provide notification to patients to stop taking any Biotin prior to having serum lab work such as CBC, Lipids, ect