Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE JULY EXERCISE THREAD

@violet runner Her flight yesterday was delayed twice which would have caused her to miss the connecting flight to Hawaii so they ended it.

First their plane was delayed two hours which still would have gotten them there on time to fly again but then they didn't have a pilot after boarding for the second delay so they were done.

Apparently their luggage is still on the plane so their clothes will get leid and hula but nothing else. Smiley LOL No idea how they're gonna get that back.

Her advice is if you are going nonstop and have patience, fly. If you are trying to do connecting flights, forget it.

I don't do connections. I always find the closest nonstop and then drive. I do that for Iowa all the time. I don't mind a 2-3 hour drive to get to where I want to be instead of being stressed at the airport and stranded on my own.

She said they were entertained because the gates that were not delayed or finally boarding kept going up in cheers each time it was announced the lucky few had a plane and a pilot. It was like the lottery at ATL and still is. Smiley LOL 

Trusted Contributor

@Laura14  Sound advice for flying. We are of the same mind. That's why  there is only 1 possible choice for us to go from Denver to a smaller city in NY and then drive abut 2 hours to the town  where my Mom's nursing home is. ONLY 1 direct flight and it gets in at midnight!!  We would stay at airport hotel overnight then get car rental in the morning.

Geez.. I refuse to get connecting flights anymore after being burned by that time and time again. If the distance was 1000 miles or less, we would just drive.  But 2000 plus miles - we feel we need to fly.  And it's not just that-- it's the expense - we figure with everything it'll be $2500 for a 2.5 day stay.!!

Time to bike!!

Honored Contributor

@bopper  - It's good to hear your son is home.  Prayers are continuing for you, your son, and your family.  Take care of yourself too.  Sending lots of hugs your way. 

Respected Contributor

Hey, this morning I took an hour long walk along the lake.   It's a 4 minute drive and the path is a flat rock packed path.  I saw a lot of wild flower, some fishermen, and birds.  Sat by the waves and listened.

A little over 2 miles done.   It's a start back.  

Thank you everyone!

Honored Contributor

I also did a five mile hike in nature. Not what everyone else is dealing with, but this was a bad Monday at work. Finishing up dinner and tomorrow is another day. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hello, I hope it's okay to ask for a walking shoe recommendation here. I will be walking around various countries in Europe for three weeks, anticipating walking up to ten miles per day. Full disclosure, I have never been a runner and am just a regular daily walker rather than walking for exercise. I need to purchase great shoes for lots of walking and would love to hear everyone's recommendations. 

Thank you and gave great day!

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer My go to has always been Asics and Skechers. Have a great time! 

Respected Contributor

Hi, taking today off, I literally feel I didn't sleep a wink last night.  Was looking at the clock at 2 am and thinking, I am wide awake, like it is daytime.

@BExplorer  I walk a lot and I really like Hoka shoes.  I need a wider toe box and the cushioning.  What brand are you currently wearing.  What a great trip to look forward too!!!  

It's only 63 here today, cloudy and very dreary.  I had to turn the heat on this morning,  I know, I know LOL......

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your recommendations @bopper  and @Laura14 !  I do have a pair of Asics from when I used to be gym rat, but as far as everyday wear, I usually wear Skechers. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer  - I recently bought two pairs of Brooks Women's Ghost Max Cushion shoes and love them!  They advertise them as running and walking - I do not run - but they are so comfortable and, I think, great for walking.  I would certainly take them on a trip like yours.  Got them on Amazon but I'm sure they have a good website too.