Honored Contributor

Anyone using Voltaran Gel for their arthritis pain? My podiatrist gave me a Rx for this for tendonitis in my foot but said I could also use it where ever I had arthritic pain and it is very effective for that. However, my insurance refused it saying it isn't in their formulary so I had to pay cash - $53 + change even after getting 20% off for my AARP membership. I hope after paying all that for it that it's a miracle drug!

For anyone who doesn't know it is a NSAID in a cream form.

Honored Contributor

@151949  I have often wished that I had an RX for this one... I take this in tablet form and have taken it for years.  It is very inexpensive in this form... but perhaps the targeted therapy is easier on the GI tract?

Wish there was a generic for the cream?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

hi, my ortho doc gave me a orescription for Voltaran for my knees. I wouldn't call it a miracle drug, but it does help a little.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Valued Contributor

Re: Voltaran gel

[ Edited ]

It is effective.  You can buy it cheaper online thru CANADIAN PHARMACIES.

Respected Contributor

I use it for my shoulder and it has made a huge difference.  Will start using it on my ankle to see if it makes a difference there too.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe there is a generic.  My insurance covered mine.  It was not Voltaren.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/diclofenac-gel.html

Mine was formulated by a local compounding drug company.

Honored Contributor

I was given it this Summer for an elbow fracture and it worked very well.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

If it just gets me through this tendonitis I will be a happy camper. It is worse today as this is my first day wearing my orthotic and that makes it hurt even more. 

This getting old is certainly not for the weak hearted.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I believe there is a generic.  My insurance covered mine.  It was not Voltaren.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/diclofenac-gel.html

Mine was formulated by a local compounding drug company.

In the study quoted here they say the absorbed amount of the drug was low but they gave 1/2 gm 2 times a day and the recommended minimum dose is 2 gm , 4 times a day. So , of course it was low.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949,

I am assuming you are, now, using the prescribed Voltaran gel (NAID) for your inflamed tendon/foot?

Miracle drug: 'NO',  I have never thought of any gel or creme as -miracle- just temporary relief for maybe 2 hours, if that. 

And, of course you could use on any part of your body, except around your eyes or very sensitive areas, using common sense.  Voltaran in (pill form) indeed would be more effective long term ....but remember.... with any anti inflammatory drug/ otc or prescription medication, be very careful if you have ever had any gastro problems or allergic to aspirin. 

The gel Voltaran IS absorbed into the body and over a long term in using, be aware of any unusual intestinal pain...just because this is a creme application for arthritis, does not indicate -SAFE- , but is less potent as with the pill form. I do not know your history with medications, but can warn you of the fact...that anti- inflammatory drugs used long term could/may/can cause the start of small ulcers that over time develope in size, causing a gastric bleed. 

Once being diagnosed with arthritis, we really do not have much to depend on for full time relief. 

I hope that your condition, with careful care, using the ortho insert OR special shoes can be very helpful. 

As far as insurance paying for different medications, this does not come to me as a surprise- year to year-.

I was told a few weeks ago from an insurance medical manager(meeting) that all insurance companies were becoming more stingy as the next one.

Personally, I believe this will become worse, especially with BRAND name medications. 

I am hearing so much about something I am not familar with, called Australian Dream; that is a cost of $30.00, I believe. You may want to be better informed on this one...I have no idea.