Contributor

Yesterday I scheduled my TLKR for november 19th.. today I am worried I will be too sick to enjoy the holidays.. need advice whether to change date to after holiday to take the bull by the horns and get it done.. would appreciate anyones advice and suggestions and helpful hints going thru knee replacement.. thank you

Regular Contributor

You won't be "sick" you'll be recovering and in physical therapy. I certainly think you'll be able to enjoy the holidays. However, I would not want to host a gathering. Great excuse to be invited elsewhere! Get your shopping and wrapping done before the surgery.

I had the surgery 3 years ago and never regretted it.

Respected Contributor

Re: Knee replacement

[ Edited ]

@pbb wrote:

Yesterday I scheduled my TLKR for november 19th.. today I am worried I will be too sick to enjoy the holidays.. need advice whether to change date to after holiday to take the bull by the horns and get it done.. would appreciate anyones advice and suggestions and helpful hints going thru knee replacement.. thank you

You should be fine.  You will be up and walking the first or second day, then rehab.  My sister had it done earlier this year and within a very short time she was out and about.  I wouldn't recommend doing a lot of running around or entertaining but you should be fine for the most part.  Just do what your trainer tells you, because that is important in getting mobile again.

I should add, you won't be sick.  You will have a sore leg.  That's what the doc told me sister in the hospital.  Get out of bed, you are not sick.

Trusted Contributor

I had a knee replacement 3 years ago at the age of 65.  I needed to have a blood transfusion in the hospital and had to go to rehab for a week.  I had a very difficult recovery time. 

Trusted Contributor

Another post from me, not everyone goes to rehab, people usually go home and a physical therapist will come by for a week or two until the person is able to go to physical therapy.

Respected Contributor

@pbb wrote:

@pbb - I wanted to add to my other post.  Do you mind me asking how old you are and if you have any health issues.  If you have no health issues and you're not really old you should be good to go.  And, it's a quick operation, they take out the old joint and throw in the new one.  You're done.  Easy for me to say, I never had one. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pbb wrote:

@pbb   It is called ELECTIVE surgery for that reason.....it is not life or death. Reschedule for after the New Year.  I have had both knees and both hips replaced....you will not feel close to good for at least 8 weeks with your knee recovery. You will be on heavy doses of pain meds also. Knees hurt like hell....hips are much easier. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

@pbb wrote:

@pbb - I wanted to add to my other post.  Do you mind me asking how old you are and if you have any health issues.  If you have no health issues and you're not really old you should be good to go.  And, it's a quick operation, they take out the old joint and throw in the new one.  You're done.  Easy for me to say, I never had one. 

@Winkk   HUH?  You have never had one and You are telling her that it is a quick operation? It is sawing. Cutting. Ripping and hammering. Very traumatic to the body...do not give advice unless you know what you are talking about! 

Honored Contributor

My knee replacement was 3 years ago at age 57.   I was so ready for the surgery mentally and physically, and so determined that absolutely nothing was going to get in the way of my recovery.   I totally agree with all posters who have stated that you should not view yourself as sick.  I was standing at the bedside within hours of coming back to my room after surgery, and took a few steps that first day.  PT started the next morning, and I was walking great with a walker when I came home on the 2nd day after surgery.  My knee was very sore, and my husband had to lift my foot to help me get into and out of our SUV for the trip home, as well as when we went out for that first day of outpatient therapy.   Once I started excercising the knee, I was able to lift my leg high enough to get myself in and out of the SUV without help, and was able to climb the steps inside my garage without having to be driven to the back door.  You will be taking a blood thinner for several weeks after surgery.  My blood was very thin when I came home from the hospital, and the doctor cautioned me heavily not to shave myself, use any kind of knife, or even get a paper cut.  Not once in the weeks after surgery was my blood ever at the level it should have been, despite the constant dosage adjustment to the Coumadin---my blood was always thin to very thin.  Due to blood loss during surgery, I became anemic even though I took the iron pills as suggested; I needed to take B12 injections twice a month to get rid of the extreme fatigue that hit in the second week of PT.  My suggestion is to get your home stocked and prepared in advance.  I cleaned, prepared foods in advance, as well as purchased things my husband could cook for us, and I did not set foot in my kitchen that first week at home.  I rearranged furniture and took up all rugs to accommodate my walker.  I did not have to concern myself with anything but taking care of me in those first weeks.  My incision was closed with 27 staples.  Every day when I showered, I cleaned my incision with a nylon shower puff just for that knee, and baby shampoo.  Once the staples came out, I used Vitamin E oil, scar gel, and massaged the scar multiple times a day, and my scar looks very nice.  Pain is a given, as you will have much healing to do.  Pain intensifies as you rebuild muscle strength thru PT; take the pain med as scheduled and always stay ahead of the pain.  Your body will let you know when to start reducing the medication, which for me was after 6 weeks.  My surgery was done just after New Years.  For me personally, I would not have had the surgery before Thanksgiving if I were preparing a holiday meal for my family, or had big plans for Christmas.   Looking back, my recovery experience was great, and I am very thankful for that, but I was prepared for things to be very different. I was using a cane by week 2, and did make quick stops at the grocery store, but my house was stocked with enough food for 2+ months, as any type of heavy duty shopping would not have gone well during those early weeks of recovery and intense PT.   

Honored Contributor

I do agree that either you need to get your holiday shopping done first or your family should understand if they all get cash or gift cards this year. I was fortunate to have the mini knee replacement and i was up and around and walking well with a few weeks. I had one in October and one in jan. They were about 7 weeks apart, and I had no problem with that. A lot has to do with your mental attitude - you have to be prepared to do the work necessary to get recovered from any orthopedic surgery. It is more up to you than the doctor, nurses or therapist.