Respected Contributor

I've heard the same about Canadian pharmacies. I think it might be OTC there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

I've heard the same about Canadian pharmacies. I think it might be OTC there. 

@Reba055

Hello Reba, 

Firstly, I wanted to inform almost anyone, who may have vision impairment, that I usually use the  larger 'font' ......

You just might be correct on this otc.

When I was living in Australia, anyone over 18 could buy a pain medication -otc-: same as our prescription quality, but HAD to sign for aspirin and anti histamines. That was well over 15+ years ago, so that, too, may have changed?  

I thought that was almost impossibly difficult to 'believe'...but true!

"Do not know IF this is the same"?  I know  seniors are on the short end of the stick".... We are, now, very low , Unbelieavably LOW on healthcare. This IS not the greastest C.- anymore, that I've have studied for the past 15+ years.  I find this hurtful to even know this.

To be denied a gel creme through a paid insurance comany/AARP is as scammy as I've heard in a long time but do know Brand Names are almost out of sight to buy. Per senior citizens.....

1% of the wealtiest are in a league of their own. One huge mess 100%!

"How could any of these 1% holders of wealth, in leadership, possiby know what it is for the struggling 99% or >>less know ANYTHING about low income families. I know I've gone beyond the - no paid for Voltaran creme- but I feel  THIS is well worth in explainng what I have learned, through committees to intervene and stop this maddness".......

Different countries have completely ,so thought ODD, from what we do or have / receive, especially in connection with the ( my opinion of assessment) greedy insurance companies we are faced with, today, along with and all these whacky rules. I work with and hear about the many obstables Senior Citjzens are up against. Unless an American can or does have private insurance company benefits, it's rather impossible to be ahead if their only income is> Soc. Sec. 

This coming new year/2016 , will be the FIRST time seniors Do Not get an increase for the high cost of living. What a horrific piece of news IS THIS!!!

BUT! And I have to cringe on this: All medicaDe. All illeg. Coming in will be taken care of.  Health+ whatever. 

NAES

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Voltaran gel

[ Edited ]

@Reba055, I am Canadian.  You can buy this OTC here.  It's not very expensive, $10-15.  Hope @Kachina624 chimes in as she orders this all the time from Canada.  LM

Honored Contributor

My friend uses it and says it is very effective.

Honored Contributor

Re: Voltaran gel

[ Edited ]

I can't believe anyone has missed my many posts about this product.  It's what allows me to get out of bed in the mornings.  I use it on one knee and lower back.  Voltaren is available in the US by prescription; the Canadian version is sold OTC, even at Wal-Mart.  I've used both and find the OTC version more effective.  They have regular and extra strength for the same price but the regular is a much bigger tube.  It has a mild odor that dissapates instantly and is non-greasy.  A little goes a long way.

I order it online from pharmacymix.com for $22/tube plus s&h.  It takes 7 or 8 days to get it.  I always order a year's worth.  It's called Voltaren Emugel.  Don't ask me if it comes from emus.  It doesn't.  I believe I paid about $17/tube at Wal-Mart but I don't get to Canada often.

It contains; Carbomer, cocoyl caprylocaprate, diethylamine, isopropyl alcohol, liquid paraffin, macrogel cetostearyl ether, perfume, propylene glycol, water as non-medicinal ingredients.  Diclofenac diethylamine as medicinal ingredient.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

lovestoteach wrote:

@151949  I have often wished that I had an RX for this one... I take this in tablet form and have taken it for years.  It is very inexpensive in this form... but perhaps the targeted therapy is easier on the GI tract?

Wish there was a generic for the cream?

@LTT1.  There is an OTC version.  See my post above.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

On two separate occasions I got a prescription for Voltaren Gel and both times I thought it was only okay ...   and not worth the money.

Frankly, I find Aspercreme to be much more effective ..... the cheapest place to buy it is at Walmart for $4.98.   Yellow box.   There's a "heat" version, but that's not what I'm recommending here.

Aspercreme an unscented cream, so you don't smell like an old person, and I find it reduces pain by about 35% ....   which is substantial, when you're in pain.    

If you can't get Voltaren Gel, maybe you might want to try  Aspercreme.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 WOW This is wonderful information! Thank you so very much!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Thank you Kachina.   I use Voltaren gel for the last few years and really like it.    My local Wal-Mart does not carry it nor the Canadian pharmacy in my state.   The link to pharmacymix.com is very helpful.  I have been buying it in the Bahamas on vacation for $24 for a large tube and stock up for the year.   This year I bought seven tubes but gifted three leaving me with only four to last the year.   One person I gifted this to had said her doctor had written a prescription for Voltaren but when she went to pick it up, the pharmacist said her insurance wouldn't cover it and the price was over $1,000.   

I very seldom come on the boards but today was my lucky day.

Thank you so much.  Good health to all.

Valued Contributor

I use it very sparingly due to heart issues for Arthur in some fingers and it works while at work. I am sorry your insurance does not cover it.  I have some refills and wish it were legal to share but no such luck.  On the bright side, one tube does seem to last forever for me and hopefully for you.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Smiley Happy