Respected Contributor

Vision Changed after Cataract Surgery

My husband's vision changed two years after his cataract surgery. In January 2020 my husband had surgery on his left eye to remove a cataract. In February he had the right eye done.

Lately he noticed having difficulty with his left eye vision. It was blurry. I panicked because I thought the new lens had shifted or something. He went to my ophthalmologist for an exam. Good news! The lens was still in place, but his vision had changed. His eye had made a slight, microscopic change in shape, and now he will have 20/20 vision with glasses. He had not needed them for two years.

I thought the new lens would mean perfect vision for life. I did not realize that the eye could change independently from the lens. What a relief that he didn't need a new surgery!

I shared because I wanted others who have had the surgery to know this can happen, but it is not a huge problem.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Vision Changed after Cataract Surgery

I had Lasik surgery about 20 years ago and I loved it because for the first time since I was a mere child, I had perfect 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts. Then 6 years ago, I needed cataract surgery. I was told that I might have to start wearing glasses for my distance vision. Was I ever disappointed to hear that! However, I have not needed glasses and, in fact, since having the cataract surgery, I see even better than I was. I can spot a fly on a fence post a mile away! Well, that might be a little exaggeration, but, not much! Woman Very Happy

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@On It 

Many years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes, and I had 20/25 vision in both eyes afterward.

It turned out that I had astigmatism (to do with the shape of the eyeball itself) and 20/25 is the best I could achieve.

I do use reading glasses since for really fine print, but it's better than needing glasses all day, every day, IMO.

My best to your DH!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

My husband had cataract surgery in both eyes and now he can see perfect for far away since !  Uses reading glasses for closeup . Funny thing , I have perfect up close vision , but can't see any thing distant with out glasses .  Wondering if I have cataract surgery would it fix my distance vision , so I would not need any glasses ? 

Esteemed Contributor

I was 20/800 before my cataract surgery with astigmatism and now I'm 20/15. No glasses needed. I did develop that film or secondary cataract a few years later but a quick zap of the laser took care of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I had both my eyes done about 7 years ago. Trifocals were my glasses for many years prior to these surgeries. I read quite a bit about them and decided to pay extra to get a Multi-focal lens in my left eye.

My Ophthalmologist told me with my present vision I could go with the Mono-focal lens in my right eye. Since then I do not need to wear any glasses, for distance or reading small print.

Now it is only polarized sun glasses on my face. Glad I decided to pay the extra. Probably saved me money because my eyes were changing so much each year I was needing new lenses every year.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I need this surgery very badly and am just waiting for my doctor to tell me "it's time"..... will evaluate the need for special lenses when the time comes and am willing to pay for the extra help if needed.  I wore contacts for over 20 years and came to love the clear, crisp images I had, but had to stop wearing them and have worn bi-focals since.  My vision now is blurry to the point of me actually rooting for my day to come!  Woman LOL

So glad your DH's vision will be fine and no more surgery needed!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Preach it @On It 

The warnings we never got.

I also have an aneurysm, left over from a stroke, that is on the optic nerve.  Like Winnie asked "How to amuse them today" 🤣

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I need this surgery very badly and am just waiting for my doctor to tell me "it's time"..... will evaluate the need for special lenses when the time comes and am willing to pay for the extra help if needed.  I wore contacts for over 20 years and came to love the clear, crisp images I had, but had to stop wearing them and have worn bi-focals since.  My vision now is blurry to the point of me actually rooting for my day to come!  Woman LOL

So glad your DH's vision will be fine and no more surgery needed!

@Q4u I don't understand why you're waiting for someone to give you permission.  If the condition is interfering with your quality of life they will do the procedure.  Just go to the eye surgeon, no referal needed.  It's an old wives tale that you have to wait until they're "bad enough".

Respected Contributor

@judianne wrote:

My husband had cataract surgery in both eyes and now he can see perfect for far away since !  Uses reading glasses for closeup . Funny thing , I have perfect up close vision , but can't see any thing distant with out glasses .  Wondering if I have cataract surgery would it fix my distance vision , so I would not need any glasses ? 

@judianne That's a definite maybe.  I had the same situation.  I could see up close but had terrible far vision.  The doctor will ask you whether you want your vision set for up close or far.  My surgeon (world renowned) suggested that I have it set for close up.  That's what I'm used to having and he said it would turn my world upside down if I set it for distance.  It depends on what you like to do during the day.  I read and quilt, all of which require up close vision.  He warned me that I would still have to wear glasses either way.  He can only correct it to a certain point.  So now I can see distance well enough around the house, but I need glasses to drive.  He said my vision wasn't good enough to have the multi focal lens. Said I wouldn't get that crisp vision and would likely still see halos.   It all depends on how bad your vision is.