Respected Contributor

Re: Vision Changed after Cataract Surgery

My vision changed about a year after I had surgery and I wasn't seeing as well at night or close up.  I had "secondary cataracts" and had to have minor laser surgery done on each eye.  Now I'm back to what my vision should be after the lens implants.

"A secondary cataract, also known posterior capsule opacifcation, is the most common complication after cataract surgery. It happens in 3-50% of cases five years after cataract surgery, and is a result of the migration and proliferation of the epithelial cells that lead to reduced visual acuity."

Respected Contributor

@cindyNC wrote:

My vision changed about a year after I had surgery and I wasn't seeing as well at night or close up.  I had "secondary cataracts" and had to have minor laser surgery done on each eye.  Now I'm back to what my vision should be after the lens implants.

"A secondary cataract, also known posterior capsule opacifcation, is the most common complication after cataract surgery. It happens in 3-50% of cases five years after cataract surgery, and is a result of the migration and proliferation of the epithelial cells that lead to reduced visual acuity."

This also happened to me but nothing was said about what you mentioned.  I will ask about it next time I have an appointment.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo - That's an interesting way to describe it but I'm waiting for the doctor to tell me it has reached a certain point where the surgery will be covered by medicare.  That's the milestone I am waiting to reach.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I need this surgery very badly and am just waiting for my doctor to tell me "it's time"..... will evaluate the need for special lenses when the time comes and am willing to pay for the extra help if needed.  I wore contacts for over 20 years and came to love the clear, crisp images I had, but had to stop wearing them and have worn bi-focals since.  My vision now is blurry to the point of me actually rooting for my day to come!  Woman LOL

So glad your DH's vision will be fine and no more surgery needed!

@Q4u I don't understand why you're waiting for someone to give you permission.  If the condition is interfering with your quality of life they will do the procedure.  Just go to the eye surgeon, no referal needed.  It's an old wives tale that you have to wait until they're "bad enough".

Unffortunately,  medicare now requires certain criteria be met to cover cataract extraction. In the past, subjective compalints such as "glare" or "quality of life"  would qualify for the procedure. 

The delay is usually not because the cataracts are not mature, or not bad enough, or not ripe.....its to follow insurance guidelines. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@judianne wrote:

My husband had cataract surgery in both eyes and now he can see perfect for far away since !  Uses reading glasses for closeup . Funny thing , I have perfect up close vision , but can't see any thing distant with out glasses .  Wondering if I have cataract surgery would it fix my distance vision , so I would not need any glasses ? 

@judianne That's a definite maybe.  I had the same situation.  I could see up close but had terrible far vision.  The doctor will ask you whether you want your vision set for up close or far.  My surgeon (world renowned) suggested that I have it set for close up.  That's what I'm used to having and he said it would turn my world upside down if I set it for distance.  It depends on what you like to do during the day.  I read and quilt, all of which require up close vision.  He warned me that I would still have to wear glasses either way.  He can only correct it to a certain point.  So now I can see distance well enough around the house, but I need glasses to drive.  He said my vision wasn't good enough to have the multi focal lens. Said I wouldn't get that crisp vision and would likely still see halos.   It all depends on how bad your vision is.  

You say your vision want good enough for multi focal lenses. I was 20/800 probably worse with astigmatism. I couldn't go to the bathroom without glasses. So I don't understand how your vision wasn't good enough. I got multi focal lenses and now have 20/15. Only glasses I wear now are sunglasses.

Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes the ability to pay for an "upgrade" isn't the issue. In my case, my doctor saw no value added with an upgrade in my case. I appreciated his honesty A nd followed his advise. I wear minimum prescription progressives ( one part is clear ) just so I don't need to constantly change into and out of readers ( I multi task; read while also watching t.v.).