Super Contributor

Re: Vibration plate platform for improved circulation

I am not looking for an exercise replacement, I work out regularl and enjoy it. I also understand this wouldn't fix circulation/ bone density issues. I see it more as something that could help. I don't know that I would want it at home, just wondering if anyone has a home model and what they think of it.

Contributor

Check out LifePro vibration plates.  They are available on Amazon and have lots of reviews.   LifePro also has a website.  Their products are used by many physical therapists and chiropractors. I have their Rumplex model and have been impressed by its quality and the product support they provide.

Valued Contributor

I bought a vibration plate on amazon two years ago for $119.  The model I bought is gone, but I see others for as little as $95.  I love mine!  Read the reviews of severals models, you will get inspired. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecorator wrote:

I've seen them in the gym and chiropractor's office, they are supposed to be beneficial for circulation and bone density. I'm not sure about QVC or HSN models, was curious if anyone owned a home model. I am not sure if they're as effective.

I've done whole body vibration for probably the last 4 yrs. My local Naturopath has 2 different Vibabody models. Both are mid priced professional models.

They are superior for increasing circulation and promoting lymphatic drainage. As you begin they recommend no more than 5 minutes. The model below also has oscillating plates which I prefer. They have adjustable speeds and timers. You'll KNOW you've had a workout. One caution, weight loss? Not so much.

s-l640.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I "might" buy the use of such a device for use by astronaut, but I need to see some clinical trial evidence that this thing is anything more than snake oil.

The best thing to do to increase circulation is walking and/or swimming.

I wouldn't go near such a thing.  Think on this:  The vibrations caused by this device causes the brain to vibrate back and forth within the calvarium; this vibration also causes the micro crystals in the inner ear to vibrate, possibly causing some of the crystals to vibrate "out of place."  When this occurs - vertigo; and, way lower down on the list are those with plaques or clots, unknown to them.  Yes, this would be quite rare, but all it takes is one person with such a condition on such a device throwing a piece of plaque or a clot and you've got a Code Blue in an establishment that is probably unable to handle such situations.

I think I'll pass.

Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I "might" buy the use of such a device for use by astronaut, but I need to see some clinical trial evidence that this thing is anything more than snake oil.

The best thing to do to increase circulation is walking and/or swimming.

I wouldn't go near such a thing.  Think on this:  The vibrations caused by this device causes the brain to vibrate back and forth within the calvarium; this vibration also causes the micro crystals in the inner ear to vibrate, possibly causing some of the crystals to vibrate "out of place."  When this occurs - vertigo; and, way lower down on the list are those with plaques or clots, unknown to them.  Yes, this would be quite rare, but all it takes is one person with such a condition on such a device throwing a piece of plaque or a clot and you've got a Code Blue in an establishment that is probably unable to handle such situations.

I think I'll pass.

I avoid anything that vibrates due to the inner ear as I have had many episodes of vertigo!  Even the treadmill is to much vibration for me.  I am fine when I get on it but even slowing it down for a long time before attempting to get off I still am dizzy and feel like I am on a boat.  My brain/balance and inner ear just doesn't do well with anything that vibrates.

Respected Contributor

I asked my vascular doc about these types of things. She said they're not effective.