Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? HORRIFYING Experience

I too have vertigo. It seems to come with the change of seasons. I usually get it when I roll over in bed and then the ceiling is on the floor and the floor on the ceiling... that bad. Scary and I was told it was not curable. I manage it. It never seems to start when I am upright, just when I turn my head in bed. It last only seconds but I am scared for days until it totally goes away. I am uneasy about it. I did get help and was told to do the Epley technique which is scary in itself.

However it does not stop me. I dance almost every evening and have no problems with balance or with the movements of dance, even if I twirl. Crazy I know. My fix is to sleep with two pillows.

Valued Contributor

My first Vertigo attack was two years ago and the second was a month after that.
All caused by extreme stress and fatigue.

My stress is gone now and I am fully rested....had to semi-retire to get these two options. Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

Thanks for these new replies. I am getting a second opinion from an ENT doctor next week. I had a couple mild episodes since I last wrote, but it seems better now though I'm still very nervous and riddled with anxiety as others have said. Awaiting approval for a brain CT, it can't hurt. It's great to have all your support, thanks again.
Not applicable

I have had vertigo with the worst attack lasting 3 days and having to sleep upright. I was tested with an audiologist for everything and results were inconclusive. An urgent care doctor told me to take Allegra D or Claritin D and that took care of it. I know take a pill everyday and haven't gotten a vertigo attack in years.
Respected Contributor

Cyndog, I meant to tell you, do not ever let any doctor, especially an ENT doctor put water in your ears. It will bring on an attack. I had wax in my ears once and the dr used water to get the wax out, voila an attack. If you ever have that problem, tell them to use air. I have also been told from my dr, not to drink a lot of water when I do get an attack. I'm glad you feel somewhat relieved from all of the responses. Take care and try to enjoy the holidays.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Contributor

So sorry that happened. I had several occurrences of vertigo but was in bed when they happened. It is a scary, horrible feeling for sure!
Trusted Contributor

Wow, that must have been scary! I hope they figure out what caused it, cyndog, so they can treat it. I have a good friend who suffers from periodic extreme bouts of vertigo, and I know, it's no picnic. She has to walk with a cane and can't drive any more because she never knows when it is going to come on.

All the best to you! Will pray for a positive outcome.

Super Contributor

I'm feeling better now, no more attacks. My second opinion ENT thinks it's not vertigo and also is trying for approval of a brain MRI, has to be an open one, can't get in that tube. I'm also scheduled for a dizziness test and a cardiologist. I have a feeling it might be my heart which for some reason scares me less than the vertigo. The unfortunate thing is that they gave me a hearing test and I have loss there. I always expected that as my job was signing metal bands and I knew years of gigs, recording studios and tiny rehearsal places would catch up with me, ha, ha, whattya gonna do! Thanks again, everyone.
Honored Contributor

On 11/22/2014 cyndog said: I'm feeling better now, no more attacks. My second opinion ENT thinks it's not vertigo and also is trying for approval of a brain MRI, has to be an open one, can't get in that tube. I'm also scheduled for a dizziness test and a cardiologist. I have a feeling it might be my heart which for some reason scares me less than the vertigo. The unfortunate thing is that they gave me a hearing test and I have loss there. I always expected that as my job was signing metal bands and I knew years of gigs, recording studios and tiny rehearsal places would catch up with me, ha, ha, whattya gonna do! Thanks again, everyone.

cyndog, I'm glad you're better. I'm lucky not to have had these symptoms, but I wanted to add a comment about the "closed" MRI machines. I've always been extremely claustrophobic and I worried myself to pieces before my first MRI.

I was given the advice to allow the doctor to give me a light sedative before the test and then to ask the tech to place a lightweight cloth over my eyes during the exam. This is the perfect way to keep your eyes closed and allow you to think of other things. (They also piped in my choice of music.) I used the method I'd been taught, to "imagine" myself in a pleasant atmosphere and not think about being closed in -- and, it worked!

I've needed numerous MRI's since then, don't even take the sedative anymore. I learned that my imagination was far, far worse than the actual experience. Hope this is helpful to someone who might be concerned about an MRI. If I can do it, probably anyone can.

I wish you well, cyndog.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova