Super Contributor

Vertigo?? HORRIFYING Experience

I was out in the yard and in a split second I felt like I was going to pass out. Made it into the house and called 911, never felt so awful in my life. It was that feeling right before you pass out, but I didn't. I thought I was going to die and felt so bad, I actually didn't care if I did. Paramedics came (longest 15 minutes of my life) and when they were moving me, that's when I started vomiting and did so all the way to the hospital. Hospital thinks it was a vertigo attack. Never had it before. I went to a ears, nose, throat doctor who also said it seemed like vertigo and sent me to a physical therapy office to have the Hallpick(?)- Epley test for it. The test did not bring on the symptoms, so therapist seemed stumped. Then went to my longtime doctor who also said it sounds like vertigo, that it comes with a big attack, then milder ones (which I've had), then in most cases fades away. I asked for a brain scan which he's setting up. I have to travel in three weeks do I have to figure this out. Meanwhile, I'm afraid to drive or be alone when my husband 's not around. I can't imagine vertigo could make you feel that horrible, I'm traumatized. I never got dizzy, but lightheaded, apparently there 's a difference. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm a nervous wreck.
Respected Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? HORRIFYING Experience

cyndog..... OMG, how terrible ! I've never heard of anyone having an experience like yours.I thought I had maybe experienced mild vertigo just because of dizziness when on a ladder etc. Im so sorry, I sure hope it never happens to you again.
Honored Contributor

I had one bad spell of vertigo several years ago. I was fine, then turned over in bed and the room started spinning around. I could not walk without my husband's help. The following morning I had my son drive me to the doctor, and he said I had fluid on my ears. He told me to take the drug for car sickness. I never threw up, and recovered by the next morning. I agree, it is scary.
Super Contributor

Thanks for your replies. I'm hoping it was just a freak occurrence. If a couple weeks pass and I feel okay, I'll be able to relax a bit. It sure was scary.
Super Contributor

Based on your description, they should check you for Meniere's. Whatever the case, best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and good treatment. Be well...

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 cyndog said: I was out in the yard and in a split second I felt like I was going to pass out. Made it into the house and called 911, never felt so awful in my life. It was that feeling right before you pass out, but I didn't. I thought I was going to die and felt so bad, I actually didn't care if I did. Paramedics came (longest 15 minutes of my life) and when they were moving me, that's when I started vomiting and did so all the way to the hospital. Hospital thinks it was a vertigo attack. Never had it before. I went to a ears, nose, throat doctor who also said it seemed like vertigo and sent me to a physical therapy office to have the Hallpick(?)- Epley test for it. The test did not bring on the symptoms, so therapist seemed stumped. Then went to my longtime doctor who also said it sounds like vertigo, that it comes with a big attack, then milder ones (which I've had), then in most cases fades away. I asked for a brain scan which he's setting up. I have to travel in three weeks do I have to figure this out. Meanwhile, I'm afraid to drive or be alone when my husband 's not around. I can't imagine vertigo could make you feel that horrible, I'm traumatized. I never got dizzy, but lightheaded, apparently there 's a difference. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm a nervous wreck.

I've experienced this way more times than I care to remember. Mine were for reasons different than vertigo however. Four of these times I was being rushed on a gurney to the ER with a crash cart being pushed next to it.

Won't got through what these episodes were related to, but I do understand the feeling that you went through, even though my causes were much different than yours, the feeling you described was pretty much the same.

Did the Paramedics put an IV in you, and if so where they administering anything to you other than the fluid? With my 2nd heart attack and the new 12 lead EKG machines that had just started to use, the Paramedics were in contact with my Cardiologist. Because with the 12 lead EKG they can see if you are having a heart attack, with a 6 lead EKG this was not possible, according to them and my Cardiologist.

Anyways they were administering Morphine in the IV and that is what had me feeling a bit nauseous, but not enough so where I felt I had to vomit. Asked my Cardiologist about this and he told me it was probably the Morphine that caused the nausea.

It is not a good feeling for sure, but I never felt as bad as you describe above in your thread. Everyone is different and everyone reacts different to things in their lives. Especially things they have never experienced before.

Hopefully they get to the source of your problem and can do something to put your mind at ease with it.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I hope your doctor can pinpoint the problem and the solution. I had an episode similar to yours. I have allergies and also fluid in my ears so I cope with mild vertigo. I'm also sensitive to acetone products.

I bought one of those floor cleaners sets with the disposable pads and cleaner that squirts into the pad. Never thinking that the cleaning solution might be strong I merrily cleaned all the floors in the house. About 15 minutes later I couldn't stand and the walls of the house were "tilting". I was nauseous and seeing stars. Also I was tilting sideways for real!

Luckily I figured out it was the cleaner and managed to get all windows open and roll into bed. I slept for four or five hours. I was better when I woke but not all well for a week or so. I had another attack after leaving a restaurant. I think there was a cleaning solution in use in the place.

Were you using anything or near anything in your yard that could have triggered a severe allergy attack? If other things are ruled out check into that.

Best wishes, Candy

Valued Contributor

I've had several incidents of vertigo and it is extremely scary. Whatever you do, everything spins. I was tested for everything under the sun and everything was normal. Of course, they always test for a brain tumor and, praise God, that was negative. Doctors gave me antivert to take whenever I experience an attack. I have some in my purse and some on my nightstand. Unfortunately, when I have an attack I'm too dizzy to find the medication. I had a really bad attack a few weeks ago and it lasted, on and off, for a few days. It's just something I've learned to live with. The scary thing for me is that I live alone. If I fall and hit my head, there is no one around to help me. If you, like me, have been tested and all is fine, it's vertigo but it's a horrendous experience. Good luck and God bless. doscgirl

Honored Contributor

On 11/7/2014 candy said:

I hope your doctor can pinpoint the problem and the solution. I had an episode similar to yours. I have allergies and also fluid in my ears so I cope with mild vertigo. I'm also sensitive to acetone products.

I bought one of those floor cleaners sets with the disposable pads and cleaner that squirts into the pad. Never thinking that the cleaning solution might be strong I merrily cleaned all the floors in the house. About 15 minutes later I couldn't stand and the walls of the house were "tilting". I was nauseous and seeing stars. Also I was tilting sideways for real!

Luckily I figured out it was the cleaner and managed to get all windows open and roll into bed. I slept for four or five hours. I was better when I woke but not all well for a week or so. I had another attack after leaving a restaurant. I think there was a cleaning solution in use in the place.

Were you using anything or near anything in your yard that could have triggered a severe allergy attack? If other things are ruled out check into that.

Best wishes, Candy

Candy, I had a similar experience when cleaning an apartment that I was moving into years ago. It had been newly painted and I was cleaning using bleach. Suddenly I became dizzy and nauseous. I realized what was wrong right away and opened all of the windows, took one Dramamine and layer down. I have episodes of dizziness from motion sickness so I always have Dramamine on hand. I wasn't completely well until the next day.

OP, I hope you find out what happened to you and get a solution to your problem.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Please come back and let us know what you find out, think many things could be behind it.