Honored Contributor

Update to Communion and the flu.

At church this AM our priest announced that only she would be taking the host & wine - symbolically for us all. This decision after she heard on the news that 10% of the deaths in the USA right now are patients who have the flu.

I was stunned - 10% of all deaths are caused by the flu. Especially in our community where there is a huge population of elderly , this was a very good decision  IMO. We all participated in the communion prayers as usual, but just did not go up to the rail. Boy oh boy - we got out of church early as well. I admire our priest for her wise decision.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Update to Communion and the flu.

@151949  I think it was a wise decision. Germs lurk everywhere ,but why put everyone at risk. God knows what is in your heart and communuin can be done at a later time.

Trusted Contributor

At our church (nondenominational) we use small plastic cups for the grape juice.

Regular Contributor

I am Catholic and I would like to see the greetings and "peace be with you" skipped during these months as well. 

Respected Contributor

That 10% figure is for flu and pneumonia, and not just for flu.  Not all pnemonia cases have anything to do with, or have any association with influenza.  There are many illnesses circulating right now, including adenoviruses, coronaviruses and metapneumovirus, too.  If a person tests negative for influenza, they are then tested for these other viruses, so only then are they discovered. However, once a person tests positive for influenza, medical professionals do no further testing, so it may be something other than influenza, that has simultaneously co-infected some people that is killing them, rather than influenza itself. 

A special education teacher in Texas named Crystal Whitley was vaccinated against influenza in October 2017, and she is now on life support with H1N1, H3N2, pneumonia, and MRSA. The two strains of influenza she simultaneously contracted are both contained in the 2017-2018 flu shot, so the shot did not lessen the severity of her illness, considering her current, very grave condition. 

I don't know what is going on this flu season, but it is certainly wise, and very thoughtful, of your priest to curtail the host and wine offering for now.

Honored Contributor

The pneumonia used in the stats are only for the pneumomia that occurs because of the flu.  Related to. 

There are three major causes of pneumonia.   They are not all classified under flu.

Respected Contributor

The CDC indicates otherwise, Noel7. 

"What categories does CDC use to estimate flu-associated deaths?

CDC uses two categories of underlying cause of death information listed on death certificates: pneumonia and influenza (P&I) causes and respiratory and circulatory (R&C) causes. CDC uses statistical models with records from these two categories to make estimates of influenza-associated mortality. CDC uses underlying R&C deaths (which include P&I deaths) as the primary outcome in its mortality modeling because R&C deaths provide an estimate of deaths that include secondary respiratory or cardiac complications that can follow influenza. R&C causes of death are more sensitive to describe flu-related deaths than underlying P&I deaths and more specific than deaths from all causes."

The numbers of estimated flu deaths are simply that-- estimates.  I wish it were otherwise, so we could get a true and clear picture of what is causing deaths this winter.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

I am Catholic and I would like to see the greetings and "peace be with you" skipped during these months as well. 

Our Pastor this morning said we would not be shaking hands during the Peace Be With You moment nor would we be having the cup shared.  Seems they all got the same message.  This will be for the whole month of February.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

I am Methodist and I agree with you.  Now is not the time to be shaking hands and hugging people.  We do communion by intinction and I will be skipping it until the flu season is over.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

The CDC indicates otherwise, Noel7. 

"What categories does CDC use to estimate flu-associated deaths?

CDC uses two categories of underlying cause of death information listed on death certificates: pneumonia and influenza (P&I) causes and respiratory and circulatory (R&C) causes. CDC uses statistical models with records from these two categories to make estimates of influenza-associated mortality. CDC uses underlying R&C deaths (which include P&I deaths) as the primary outcome in its mortality modeling because R&C deaths provide an estimate of deaths that include secondary respiratory or cardiac complications that can follow influenza. R&C causes of death are more sensitive to describe flu-related deaths than underlying P&I deaths and more specific than deaths from all causes."

The numbers of estimated flu deaths are simply that-- estimates.  I wish it were otherwise, so we could get a true and clear picture of what is causing deaths this winter.

What am I missing, because you just highlighted influenza associated mortality.  I would assume it would have to be considered an estimate as long as not all supposed flu cases are tested.

@Jersey Born