Respected Contributor

Re: Update to Communion and the flu.

I always skip the wine at my church.

Honored Contributor

DH is Catholic and I have pretty much given up letting him drag me to church.  Of course I can't take communion, but all this shaking hands with every one around you at the end drives me nuts.  And that has been for years, not just this flu season. 

Honored Contributor

@SleepyTimewrote:

I am Catholic and I would like to see the greetings and "peace be with you" skipped during these months as well. 

I agree.  I would like to see it changed all year round to nodding to the person and saying "peace be with you."  

Honored Contributor

You can do that. I do it all the time. No one cares

Respected Contributor

In our church those helping distribute Communion use hand sanitizer when they go up front before distributing.  I never drink from the common cup.....don’t care if it’s flu season or not.  

I just can’t bring myself to not shake hands when someone extends their hand to me.  But if someone has an obvious cold I avoid eye contact with them so I can skip the handshake!

Honored Contributor

No one thinks a thing about it. We always set in the same pew, people that set in our section know I don't shake. I do wish everyone peace, and smile at them, they do the same to me.

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

This whole "peace be with you" has gotten out of hand.

What started out as something said to the person next to you has evolved into people reaching back 2 or 3 pews to shake hands.  

I never liked it.  I don't like touching strangers and I don't like strangers touching me.

Amen!!

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Going to church this time of year is like being in a petri dish.  This morning we sat down and after a few minutes the lady in front of us coughed - and boy, did she ever have some congestion and yucky stuff.  DH & I looked at each other and scooted allll the way down to the other end of the pew.  Then a young woman came in and sat down in front of us and kept sneezing.  A family sat behind us and there were constant coughs and sneezes from them.  One of the kids who was sitting directly behind my handbag sneezed on it. 

Mr. Shoes wanted to move again, lol, but Mass had started and I felt that it would probably be the same no matter where we were sitting.  There are just a lot of sick people out there.  FWIW I never drink from the communal cup, just take  Communion in the form of the host. 

All of that coughing and sneezing had me thinking of this thread!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett