Honored Contributor

Re: Update to Communion and the flu.

wrote:

I am Catholic and I would like to see the greetings and "peace be with you" skipped during these months as well. 

In our RC diocese these practices AND the distribution of wine via the Common Cup have been dispensed with for the duration of the flu epidemic, at the discretion of our local Bishop.

Valued Contributor

Episcopalin here, and have NEVER liked sharing the peace through handshakes!  Much rather just bow and express Peace verbally!  I see people blow their noses and hold tissues and hankies in church, then rush and shake your hand..... That's all I can think about then!  I only do Communion wafer and no wine from shared cup, do longer even allow them to dip the wafer.... I'm a germ phobe from way back!  

Honored Contributor

Our church has placed hand sanitizer in the pews and encouraged it's use after the peace for a long time now. However, thru this epidemic we aren't doing the peace at all. I've gotten really antsy about the people who always want to hug you before & after church.I've never liked hugging people I don't know well.

Valued Contributor

@SleepyTimewrote:

I am Catholic and I would like to see the greetings and "peace be with you" skipped during these months as well. 

When I was sick, during the passing of the peace, I just kind of fist-bumped everyone. I am the music director at the Presybterian church where I belong. I keep a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer on the pew next to the place I sit (no one else sits here). I was sick for a long time with a mega virus. I really didn't want to spread that around or catch something more.

Honored Contributor

I never shake hands ,and I never will. It isn't necessary. I do wish everyone around me peace...

Honored Contributor

Between not everyone taking communion and not having the peace our church service last week was only 35 min long! 

Trusted Contributor

I have only been to churches that used individual cups for communion. I was not aware churches sometimes still use one common cup to share. I would decline in that case as well. 

Super Contributor

My mom is 85, and even if she is sick with a cough or sore throat, she'll drink from the chalice. I've told her before not to drink that day because she's not feeling well, but she doesn't think she's contagious. Old school, I guess. I haven't been to church in many years, but even at the end, I stopped the communal drinking.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

What a shame that someone had to take this thread on this trip down the rabbit hole about sources of statistics instead of allowing a discussion about how we can attempt to avoid getting the flu.

@151949 

You BEGAN this thread with comments on statistics:

"This decision after she heard on the news that 10% of the deaths in the USA right now are patients who have the flu.

I was stunned - 10% of all deaths are caused by the flu."

Esteemed Contributor

@151949wrote:

What a shame that someone had to take this thread on this trip down the rabbit hole about sources of statistics instead of allowing a discussion about how we can attempt to avoid getting the flu.

You do it all the time.