Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

Not much I can add to what others here have already mentioned. From your post starting this thread, it sounds like you and your sister, along with your mother, have found what is best for all of you. 

I can't think of anything better in this type of situation than seeing you say "we are happy about that, and happy she is happy". Wishing all of you the best for now and future ahead.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Sooner Good points.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant 

I understand and each person is different, I can only go on what the breathing doctor (forgot what you call them) said to me, he said "prepare for your mother to die" and 8 years later she did.

Sending you hugs, give her one for me too.

One of my customers told me that the doctors told her that her husband would not make it another 6 months, and that was 45 years ago.  We can only give hope and its not in our hands.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant 

This change in plans has been worked out for you and your siblings, for a reason.   I sincerely feel your mom was meant to spend her last days in the comfort and peace of her home, with her family around her.   My very best wishes to all of you.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Update On My Mother

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@jubilant 

This change in plans has been worked out for you and your siblings, for a reason.   I sincerely feel your mom was meant to spend her last days in the comfort and peace of her home, with her family around her.   My very best wishes to all of you.   

@RedTop  Yes, it really is working out and all three of we "kids" are  ALL feeling good about it. I believe things happened this way for a reason. When I saw what you and @hckynut  (before you) said....it really brought it home to read it in print because it really does describe how we are feeling.  So happy to still have mom and to spend more time with her. I wished you could see her.  She's like a little kid that was lost and has come home again. So excited with a little extra skip in her steps.  It makes me cry just thinking about the look on her face after we got her home.      

Respected Contributor

I'm glad to things worked out after going through a lot. Sending prayers and well wishes to your mom and the whole family. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Update On My Mother

[ Edited ]

What a long and stressful time for your family. I do understand.
    My sister and I have decided to allow my 95 year old mom to stay in her condo while trying to cover being with her 24 hours every day by ourselves.  My mother is not easy to please and we worried that she would be horribly treated in a facility without our knowing what was going on because of local Covid restrictions. Moreover, mom does not want to stay with either of us. My sister is younger but ill.  I am 74, alone, and also have serious health issues.  There will never be rest while we split our time between our own places and our mother's.  I moved a few years ago to live less than a mile from her.
    I applaud your love and care for your mother. She surely will be happier and safer with you.  It is a shame that care for seniors just is not higher quality. Best of luck to your family.

Respected Contributor

@jubilant You can get your mother under home health care covered by Medicare at 100% if she has straight Medicare. If she has an advantage plan, there may be a copay. Look at "health compare" and you can compare the outcomes and customer satisfaction of the home health agencies in your area. Good luck. They have therapists who can come into the home and treat her. She probably needs physical and occupational therapy. 

Respected Contributor

Everyone, in no way was I implying that taking care of your loved ones health, living and supporting them day over day like many are being asked to do was an "inconvenience".  I was referring to someone who couldn't be bothered to drive about 5 miles to their elderly parents house to move a couple of pieces of furniture and some boxes for them to make their house more accessible - something that would take less then 15 minutes.

@jubilant  You and your sisters are true angels for taking care of your mom, I hope that if my sister and myself were in the same situation, we would be able to work as a team to make the best life for our mom too.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I'm glad you gave us an update. It warms my heart that your mom is home. I found an absolutely wonderful caregiver when my dad was still at home but needed quite a bit of help. She was a godsend. Hope you find some equally as good. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"