Honored Contributor

@db

Like you, I have had many Ultrasounds. From my perspective as the patient, I know many of them knew if I had issues. They tell me a lot without speaking a word.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Funny story, years ago I was having an abdominal ultrasound for generalized abdominal discomfort..I thought I surely had gallbladder stones/ disease..had all the symptoms..I told her I was a nurse & asked if she saw anything abnormal..she then whispered in my ear.. "You have no gallstones" 😊  A few days later, still feeling very icky, during a CT of abdomen, I was told by the radiologist..go to the ER, NOW, it was a ruptured appendix..

darndest appendicitis I ever heard of...

Frequent Contributor

A few months ago I had a sonogram to see if I had cysts, while the tech was doing her job all of the sudden she started get very religious on me. She scared me to death I thought the worst thank god I didn't have any cyst but I kept playing our convo in my head all weekend. Well it was definitely the longest weekend of my life....

Esteemed Contributor

Usually they don't say a word which for me is ok.  I had one tech that made an off-hand remark during the procedure.  It upset me very, very, very much and she apologized profusely.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@db wrote:

I have a question that an ultrasound technician could answer.  I know they are not doctors but when they are doing an ultrasound how trained are they to see an actual problem?  I have had numerous ultrasounds over the years on pretty much all body parts and a majority of them seem to be able to identify problems.  I know that they cannot tell you anything but I think they all know an issue when they see it.  Any comments or experience?  Thank you.

@db

How do you know they can identify problems?   My guess is that they would be in BIG trouble if they took it upon themselves to talk to you about what they are seeing.  A radiologist has to read them first .... and then consult with your doctor.    Your doctor discusses the findings with you.

Even if a technician saw "something", I would hope they didn't say anything .... and just took great images for the doctors to review.

I can usually tell when they find something serious! They spend a lot of time retaking pictures of the same area. They step out for a minute and either return with a doc or come back and take additional pictures! Of course, this isn't a sure fire answer, but so far, that's the only time I even give it a second thought! Usually, those calls come quickly, so no need to worry for long!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultrasound Technicians

[ Edited ]

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Usually they don't say a word which for me is ok.  I had one tech that made an off-hand remark during the procedure.  It upset me very, very, very much and she apologized profusely.

@qbetzforreal

I can't imagine any "off-hand" remark any technician could say that would tick me off, or using your words "upset me, very, very very much". But then again, I am one the doesn't think about crossing bridges until I have one to cross. That and, that is why I have doctors that I implicitly trust.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@qbetzforreal

I can't imagine any "off-hand" remark any technician could say that would tick me off, or using your words "upset me, very, very very much". But then again, I am one the doesn't think about crossing bridges until I have one to cross. That and, that is why I have doctors that I implicitly trust.

hckynut(john)

She made remark regarding my condition and the reason why I was having procedure.

Honored Contributor

When I have my ultrasound it was done by a doctor with a technician in the room.

The doctor told me I was fine, he saw nothing to be concerned over and that my OB/GYN would send me back in 6 months because that's what OB/GYN's do.  LOL  He said, "I don't need to see you again, but I'll see you in 6 months anyway."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I've had a several over the years for the same condition.

First time - confirmation of what the doctor thought was the problem.

The next two times to check if there was any change  ...   and met with the doctor afterwards and he showed me on the film what he was looking for and what he found - compared with prior films.