Honored Contributor

Turmeric works for me but not just any turmeric. I look for one with 100% curcumin extract (standardized to 95% purity) + black pepper added to it for absorption in the gut. Be sure to read the label carefully. If you see 'blends', 'blended with' or 'proprietary' that's a good indication the supp contains a mixture of turmeric spice root powder (cheap stuff) and extract (expensive stuff) which would be reflected in the lower price. Pure extract is what you want b/c that contains the active component (curcumin or curcuminoid) which is what gives us relief from pain/inflammation. Recommended amount is approx 1500 mg daily, usually divided into 2 or 3 doses taken with food.

Some people say that turmeric never worked for them. That might be b/c they weren't taking the extract but rather the root powder. Another reason why some say it doesn't work could be b/c their dose was too low. Dosage is important.

Currently I am taking this Qunol brand. It has the extract + black pepper. I've done a lot of research about the various brands of turmeric and to me this one is the best I could find. I take two daily with food, one in the AM and then another in the PM.

Turmeric Curcumin with Black Pepper, Qunol 2250mg Turmeric Extract with 95% Curcuminoids, Extra Strength Supplement, Enhanced Absorption, Supports Healthy Inflammation Response, 90 Vegetarian Capsules, Opens in a new tab

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee   I've been taking the Mega Foods Turmeric Curcumin Extra Strength brand for about 2 yrs and it has helped me tremendously achieve less inflammation throughout my body.

It is expensive but I trust the MegaFood brand.

I put 2 caps into my morning smoothie.

Honored Contributor

@pdlinda wrote:

@SilleeMee   I've been taking the Mega Foods Turmeric Curcumin Extra Strength brand for about 2 yrs and it has helped me tremendously achieve less inflammation throughout my body.

It is expensive but I trust the MegaFood brand.

I put 2 caps into my morning smoothie.

@pdlinda 

That one looks good! Excellent ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Sillie, I recently got a great deal on ebay on 2 Quonol 360 in total, I grabbed them.  After all of our research, I do think this one is the best. 

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee   Yes, I love the Mega Food brand because all their ingredients are derived from actual plants/food.

I've also had a LOT of success with their Immune Booster product that I also use whenever I feel a cold/virus coming on.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jo1313 

I was interested so I read about it. This was a few years ago, don't know about black pepper part. Once I saw "can thin the blood", just paraphrasing, I quit reading.

Now having had 16 Colonoscopies, 15 with Gastro Doctors trying to find the bleeding source? Anything that mentions "blood thinner" is X-NO facto for me. My only potential blood thinner, is my prescribed 81mg children's aspirin each day.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn   Very understandable.  Not every nutritional product is appropriate for everybody.  

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn   John - All those colonoscopies and still no answer? Sounds like what I went through in 1994 following hospitalization for an e-coli infection. It took two years (!) and the involvement of the CDC (!?!) to get diagnosed. I hope they're not starting to say it's "emotionally caused" like they did to me. (It wasn't.)

It was solved by eliminating dairy from my diet. Since then many docs say I must have been lactose intolerant before the e-coli and never noticed. Yeah, right. Have you tried eliminating different foods?

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

Think I was up to the number 9 Colonoscopy in 2008, and I swallowed the camera pill. The camera pill took over 3,000 pictures, but did not detect the source of the bleed. 

Next they sent me to a different hospital. It was the only one around that had the equipment to do a Double Balloon Enteroscopies. They first did an Upper Double Balloon Procedure, where it checks the small intestines. The colon was done the next day.

Unlike a 15-20 minute Colonoscopy, this equipment pulls each section of the colon past a High Definition Camera. It was over a 4 hour procedure.They found the bleed and were able to laser it to stop the bleeding. I went home 2 days later, which was a total of 32 days in the hospital.

I won't go into the whole story, but that bleed fix, lasted about 5 weeks. And thus the Colonoscopies started adding up again. They will not do the Double Balloon without first doing a Colonoscopy, maybe 2 of them, 2 days apart.

The last Colonoscopy I had was 4 weeks ago, along with an Endoscopy. The Colonoscopy was done to check the last bleed repair, still holding together. That was Endoscopy number 26, because of my Barrett's Esophagus. So no bleeding and my Barrett's is the same as the last one in 2019.

For now I am ok with the Colon bleeding, as long as I steer clear of blood thinners. The Endo is now every 3 years for my Barrett's, a precursor to Esophageal Cancer.

Foods had nothing to do with either if my problems, so that part has never been an issue. 

Hopefully, you are still going ok in that regard. Stay well now,

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

It helps me with the one problem that I take it for, and that is an infected tooth!  It has saved me from having to go to the dentist a few times!  And yes, I do need to just get the tooth pulled, but the tooth is the one that my bridge hooks onto, so I have to keep the tooth!

But when I can tell that it is getting infected, I take 2 or 3 of my turmeric with black pepper tablets and in a couple of hours, the infected tooth is better!

Edited to add that I've had no side effects, but I do not take it every single day, I usually only take a couple when I can feel that tooth starting to flare up.