Super Contributor

Any info on taking Tumeric and how much is OK... Any advise would be great...

Valued Contributor

I buy my turmeric at Costco.  1000 mg a day.  The nice thing is that this turmeric formula at Costco already includes the black pepper in it (you MUST take black pepper with turmeric to reap any benefit) so you don't have to do that separately.  I credit my taking turmeric with much less pain in my arthritic hands.

Honored Contributor

Re: Tumeric question...

[ Edited ]

The product you're asking about is spelled turmeric.  Many people out there feel they're really helping their diet by adding a sprinkle of the spice over their egg salad or mixing a teaspoon into their 1.5 lb. meatloaf, but that's about as good as doing nothing at all.  For the turmeric to provide the benefits most of us take it for, you need roughly 1500-1800 mg. daily, split between 2-3 servings daily.  My DH and I take 900 mg. in the AM and another 900 mg. in the PM, after meals.  When shopping for your supplement, make sure you get some black pepper mixed in.  It's called BioPerine, and aids in the absorption of the turmeric.  Here's the one we get from Vitacost:
Vitacost Turmeric Extract with BioPerine®

Respected Contributor

@Retiredpsych wrote:

I buy my turmeric at Costco.  1000 mg a day.  The nice thing is that this turmeric formula at Costco already includes the black pepper in it (you MUST take black pepper with turmeric to reap any benefit) so you don't have to do that separately.  I credit my taking turmeric with much less pain in my arthritic hands.

I'm emphasizing black pepper because I used to forget to put BP in my golden milk.  Also, You-tubers forget to mention it or they'll just say "pepper".  It's got to be "black pepper".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@Retiredpsych wrote:

Which one is it?  I"m curious as I saw one there yesterday.   I am fairly loyal to NEW CHAPTER and A.L. from HSN.  I have read too many stories about most turmerics doing nothing other than certain ones more costly that have been tested better.  Thanks for any info.

I have heard about the black pepper.  I think A.L. may have it too.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

Any side effects from taking this?? My system is very sensitive and hope it works for aches and pains.

Frequent Contributor

I also take turmeric. Purchase it at Costco , the brand I use is YOUTHEORY . You received 120 capsules , 1000 mg each, they do contain black pepper. It is on sale right now for (if I remember correctly) about $29.95.The suggested amount per day is 2 capsules. Manufactured by NUTRAWISE. There is a website you can also check youtheory.com, it is made in Irvine California. Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@Hondagirl wrote:

Any side effects from taking this?? My system is very sensitive and hope it works for aches and pains.

@hondagirl - if you split up your daily amount as directed, take it after a meal, and chase it with a full glass of water, you should be fine.  In my experience, stomach upset occurs when certain vitamins aren't taken with food or enough water.  

Something else to consider is that you may be experiencing aches and pains due to being low in magnesium.  You may want to research that.  If you decide to supplement, be sure to investigate a good form, to make it worth your while.  Some forms can give you tummy issues.  Magnesium Glycinate is very absorbable but gentle on the stomach but there are other forms too.  Magnesium Oxide is usually the most common form found in supplement and it's pretty much junk so get the one that's going to provide the benefit you're after.

Trusted Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

The product you're asking about is spelled turmeric.  Many people out there feel they're really helping their diet by adding a sprinkle of the spice over their egg salad or mixing a teaspoon into their 1.5 lb. meatloaf, but that's about as good as doing nothing at all.  For the turmeric to provide the benefits most of us take it for, you need roughly 1500-1800 mg. daily, split between 2-3 servings daily.  My DH and I take 900 mg. in the AM and another 900 mg. in the PM, after meals.  When shopping for your supplement, make sure you get some black pepper mixed in.  It's called BioPerine, and aids in the absorption of the turmeric.  Here's the one we get from Vitacost:

@JeanLouiseFinch

This is interesting. I didn't know this about the black pepper. I just checked my Procaps Turmeric and I'm not seeing anything about black pepper or the word BioPerine. I'm wondering why that would be, since he seems to be up on the research. 

BTW, I really like the Vitacost brand. I may get their turmeric next time. 

Honored Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

This is interesting. I didn't know this about the black pepper. I just checked my Procaps Turmeric and I'm not seeing anything about black pepper or the word BioPerine. I'm wondering why that would be, since he seems to be up on the research. 

BTW, I really like the Vitacost brand. I may get their turmeric next time. 

@Teddie That is surprising.  Many times, I will listen to Lessman's informative  explanations but find his supplements are far too costly.  I take his info and recommendations and then find a comparable Vitacost version for a much better price.  Vitacost also offers coupon savings and Set & Save options for an automatic 10% discount.