Esteemed Contributor

What would you do if you now know (neighbors and marijuana)

There was a young man doing some handyman work at my house.  When he was ready to leave and I went to pay him we both stepped outside.  He made a comment.  "Boy there is a strong odor of marijuana."  I am rather naive about this so I asked him how he knew.  He confided in me that he was once an addict who turned his life around. I have only one neighbor who has raised her grandkids and this might be THE PLACE.  I said something today to another neighbor who saw the KIDS (teens) hide near a tree and "make a drug deal" with a driveby car.  She called the police and they said they could not do anything. I have a feeling "grandma" knows.  The story of this family is sad.. tragic.. and all they have is each other... extended family living under one roof.  We are in a rural rather upscale neighborhood where everyone is a friend and has essentially been here a long time. Now that I know I have no clue what to do.  I have had these grandkids come to my door for odd jobs and or to borrow something they have managed to lose or break up.... Now I am actually fearful of them.  I am so sympathetic with addiction and please don't laugh... I cannot pass a dessert or ice cream without finishing off the supply. Cold turkey has been the only thing that ever helped. However I have to eat.. I don't have to go out of my way to buy cigaretes, alcohol or drugs.  What should I do other than ignore it totally.  I will add medical marijuana will be legal soon in our state but this is not medical usage.          

Honored Contributor

Re: What would you do if you now know (neighbors and marijuana)

This is what stands out in your post 

She called the police and they said they could not do anything.

If the police say they can't even do anything, what do you think you're going to do?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't say anything because you didn't see anything so to speak.  Others told you about.  I would keep an eye on things and keep my guard up, but say nothing until I witnessed something.

Esteemed Contributor

They smoke weed and.....?

Honored Contributor

Sounds to me like you are asking for trouble. Unless you can prove what you are saying about these people you really have no legal recourse. If you are afraid of them, I would get an alarm system and just not answer the door when they come to call. I think it's a mistake to judge your neighbors when you have no proof of criminal behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

Considering that you didn't even notice the odor until it was pointed out to you.  It wasn't bothering you, so if I was you I would do nothing.

Honored Contributor

MYOB (as the nuns used to say)

Trusted Contributor

Wonder if your handyman meant he smelled growing plants giving off the odor or the smoking of MJ.

At any rate, I'm with the other posters at this time - I wouldn't do anything yet.

And if the growing of a few outdoor plants for personal use will also soon be legal where you live you'll start to know the smell. It's smells like skunk but not quite exactly.

Outdoor growing is already becoming the next war of neighbors where I'm at - the odor, crime potential, etc.

Valued Contributor

If they're not bothering you, I would leave it alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'd rather have a pot smoking neighbor, than one who lets their dog c*ap on my lawn......like you, I can't prove it....but it's never been an issue before they recently got a dog....just waiting to catch the dog "in action."  we don't talk to these people, so confronting them isn't a fix...calling animal control will be....so i guess you'll just have to wait until you see your neighbors "inhaling,"