Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine wrote:

Spent2much ( love your nic! ) So glad to hear hear your pain is better. I need both knees replaced, recovery would be terrible but wish I could have both done at same time, the thought of going through that surgery twice, ugh!

@Summer Shine    I had both knees replaced  at the same time in 2013.    It is not harder nor is the recovery any more difficult doing them together or seperately.  Healing time and recovery are the same doing both at once  as doing one knee.  It is major surgery and even a bit more tramatic doing both at once as far as after surgery issues possible cropping up..But,  if your health is good, there is no reason not to do both at once.

You need a surgeon willing to do both at once first.  It is more work for the surgeon..and less money... mostly why many choose not to do bilateral knee replacement.  I had an excellent surgeon who was very skilled at his work. My  out come now 7 years later is just amazing going from a crippled person using crutches to someone walking 3 miles a day and doing all my own yard work... even do deep knee bends which I never thought I could do!

Super Contributor

Thank you for all the replies and helpful advise. It's good to hear all the positive outcomes. I have done lots of research onDr, lost weight, got my pre diabetes back in the normal range. Trying to get healthier. Been doing some walking, but started having more pain, especially with bending, think I may have a meniscus tear, had one before, symptoms are the same. I looked up the Drs phone number to get appt and he's moved to out of the state, sooooo now I've got to find Dr. Lots of research to do! Thank you so much for all your replies.

Honored Contributor

@Summer Shine 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It was nice of you to thank those that told you their personal experiences. I have none, other than my wife having her right knee replaced last October.

Best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Summer Shine Yes, do your research and find the best surgeon in your area.  That makes a big difference.  I had knee replacements last year, one in May, one in September and in both cases did not experience any real pain, just some discomfort.  PT helped with mobility and here I am this year happily and finally able to do justice to my garden.  Good luck to you.