Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,854
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

Onna really, really bad day I had a dental appointment to have the crown on my upper dead-center front tooth removed....it was very old and needed to be replaced.

 

midway through the crown removal, the tooth broke off at the gum line.  Dentist gave me more novocaine-like substance so that I could drive over to the specialist ( his friend ! ) who was waiting for me.  

 

The specialist removed the root and I drove back to my dentist so he could make the temporary tooth and attach it to the good tooth beside it.

 

No real pain but it was the longest total time spent in a dentist chair !

 

Go for the numbing...as other posters have said.  It will be over quickly.  You have already spent too much time thinking about and getting upset.  Let us know how you did !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,854
Registered: ‎12-02-2013

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

On a really, really bad day I had a dental appointment to have the crown on my upper dead-center front tooth removed....it was very old and needed to be replaced.

 

midway through the crown removal, the tooth broke off at the gum line.  Dentist gave me more novocaine-like substance so that I could drive over to the specialist ( his friend ! ) who was waiting for me.  

 

The specialist removed the root and I drove back to my dentist so he could make the temporary tooth and attach it to the good tooth beside it.

 

No real pain but it was the longest total time spent in a dentist chair !

 

Go for the numbing...as other posters have said.  It will be over quickly.  You have already spent too much time thinking about and getting upset.  Let us know how you did !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Regular Contributor
Posts: 213
Registered: ‎05-05-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

@Sandgirl  OMG I just had this done in June, they did it with Novacaine and took it out in pieces, then they put in the implant - you can do this with just a local, you will be a little sore for a few days but its ok

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,818
Registered: ‎03-15-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

Yes, I've had it done.  Just had novacare (localized numbness).  It was fine.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,492
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question


@debfau wrote:

There are some people who don't do well just going to regular dentist, this is why you hear about dental sedation now adays.

 

I know 30 years ago when I had my all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, they did put me under as several of them were impacted in the gum still; otherwise they would have been able to just pull with novacaine.


@debfau  My wisdom were impacted as well, I had a horrid experience and I think that is why I am so nervous about having this tooth pulled.

I ended up with dry socket as well which was very painful so I think I am just worried due to the experience I had with my wisdom teeth.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,378
Registered: ‎12-26-2011

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

I’m a big baby when it comes to my teeth but I make sure I get them cleaned and checked every 4 months to prevent problems.  I had a tooth go bad under a crown and had to have it pulled.  I was not put to sleep and the numbing injections they gave me worked 100%.  Didn’t feel a thing until several hours later.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,492
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question


@arizona babe wrote:

@Sandgirl  OMG I just had this done in June, they did it with Novacaine and took it out in pieces, then they put in the implant - you can do this with just a local, you will be a little sore for a few days but its ok


@arizona babe I have 5 crowns total, all back teeth, I imagine I will have more of this in my future - how long did it take for your implant to be complete, they are saying like 6 months total.... How are you doing now?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,492
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question


@jlkz wrote:

On a really, really bad day I had a dental appointment to have the crown on my upper dead-center front tooth removed....it was very old and needed to be replaced.

 

midway through the crown removal, the tooth broke off at the gum line.  Dentist gave me more novocaine-like substance so that I could drive over to the specialist ( his friend ! ) who was waiting for me.  

 

The specialist removed the root and I drove back to my dentist so he could make the temporary tooth and attach it to the good tooth beside it.

 

No real pain but it was the longest total time spent in a dentist chair !

 

Go for the numbing...as other posters have said.  It will be over quickly.  You have already spent too much time thinking about and getting upset.  Let us know how you did !


@jlkz   Oh my, now that is a really bad day!!! At least mine is my very back tooth, if it was my front tooth I would be freaking out however, if someone were to have front tooth issues, this is a good time since we are all wearing masks anyways HA!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,492
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question


@Danielle46 wrote:

I’m a big baby when it comes to my teeth but I make sure I get them cleaned and checked every 4 months to prevent problems.  I had a tooth go bad under a crown and had to have it pulled.  I was not put to sleep and the numbing injections they gave me worked 100%.  Didn’t feel a thing until several hours later.


@Danielle46  Do they give you something for the pain or just take advil or something similar?

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,313
Registered: ‎06-15-2014

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

Had this done with local anesthesia. No problem.