Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

I don't think you need sedation for one tooth extraction. Definitely go to an oral surgeon and not a general dentist for the extraction. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JesssMe wrote:

I had a tooth that had a root canal years ago.  It was the back molar on the top.  The tooth broke. My dentist suggested that I go to an oral surgeon to have it pulled. The oral surgeon was the best thing I have ever done when it comes to teeth.  After numbing it, he had that tooth out in about one minute, really!  Such a professional, him and his staff. This is what they do.  I would highly recommend finding an oral surgeon.

And, it was not expensive, less than a visit to my regular dentist for a filling.

Absolutely! An oral surgeon does this all day, every day. I wouldn't risk having a general dentist removing a decayed root canaled tooth. 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

So, I have a root canal tooth that needs to be pulled, they took the crown off and determined it's to far gone so need to have it pulled.

My question is - Have you had this done and were you put under for it?

It is an extra 600 out of pocket for the sedation, I cannot do "laughing gas" as it makes me sick so its either stay away or be put under while they pull it.  I just want to hear what others did in the same circumstance.

Thank you!

@SandGirl I had it done back in October and have an appointment with an oral surgeon in March for an implant.

When I had the tooth pulled I used my regular dentist.  It was also a root canal tooth that had gone bad.  I got the nitrous oxide gas since I do well with it and he also used novocaine.  I felt nothing and was aware of what he was doing during the procedure and was able to drive myself home.

Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@debfau wrote:

There are some people who don't do well just going to regular dentist, this is why you hear about dental sedation now adays.

I know 30 years ago when I had my all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, they did put me under as several of them were impacted in the gum still; otherwise they would have been able to just pull with novacaine.

@debfau  My wisdom were impacted as well, I had a horrid experience and I think that is why I am so nervous about having this tooth pulled.

I ended up with dry socket as well which was very painful so I think I am just worried due to the experience I had with my wisdom teeth.

Wisdom teeth (aka 3rd molars) are much more difficult to remove than other teeth due to the location (so close to the nerve) and impaction complicates things. Dry socket? Do you smoke? Smoking is a no-no with extractions. Try an oral surgeon - you won't feel a thing.

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

@debfau wrote:

There are some people who don't do well just going to regular dentist, this is why you hear about dental sedation now adays.

I know 30 years ago when I had my all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, they did put me under as several of them were impacted in the gum still; otherwise they would have been able to just pull with novacaine.

@debfau  My wisdom were impacted as well, I had a horrid experience and I think that is why I am so nervous about having this tooth pulled.

I ended up with dry socket as well which was very painful so I think I am just worried due to the experience I had with my wisdom teeth.

Wisdom teeth (aka 3rd molars) are much more difficult to remove than other teeth due to the location (so close to the nerve) and impaction complicates things. Dry socket? Do you smoke? Smoking is a no-no with extractions. Try an oral surgeon - you won't feel a thing.

@Effie54  NO, never smoked a day in my life, just ended up with an infection, was awful, my dentist told me that that won't happen with this tooth, must be a wisdom teeth issues...

Valued Contributor

I had two teeth pulled this week!  Just had injections. What surprised me was how fast it was...about half an hour total.  Ten minutes of that was waiting in the office!

I went to an oral surgeon recommended by my dentist, but also checked out yelp reviews.  He got all five stars.  $395.00 for each tooth.  Now back to my dentist in four weeks to get teeth.

Honored Contributor

My regular dentist does not pull teeth.  He sends you to an oral surgeon.  I had this done last October.  They just numbed it and I felt nothing. It did not take the surgeon long at all.  Just follow your instructions to a tee as far as taking care of it when you get home. 

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

My regular dentist does not pull teeth.  He sends you to an oral surgeon.  I had this done last October.  They just numbed it and I felt nothing. It did not take the surgeon long at all.  Just follow your instructions to a tee as far as taking care of it when you get home. 

The one I go to says he does the pulling there, even has the ability to give you IV if you want to be put under a little, it's even on his very detailed website, they do implants there to so I guess full service dentist? The office is combined with  Ortho care as well. So, now I'm nervous, do I still with my dentist office or seek an oral surgeon

Honored Contributor

In the old days my anxiety level was off the charts.  I gladly paid the $350.00 extra for sedation which was not covered by insurance. Now I have a dentist whom I trust completely, its been a whole new world.  I'm fine with just local whatever they use nowdays.