Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

@SandGirl wrote:

So, I have a root canal tooth that needs to be pulled, they took the crown off and determined it's to far gone so need to have it pulled.

My question is - Have you had this done and were you put under for it?

It is an extra 600 out of pocket for the sedation, I cannot do "laughing gas" as it makes me sick so its either stay away or be put under while they pull it.  I just want to hear what others did in the same circumstance.

Thank you!

@SandGirl    Usually, one is given oral injections, not put to sleep.

Honored Contributor

@JesssMe wrote:

I had a tooth that had a root canal years ago.  It was the back molar on the top.  The tooth broke. My dentist suggested that I go to an oral surgeon to have it pulled. The oral surgeon was the best thing I have ever done when it comes to teeth.  After numbing it, he had that tooth out in about one minute, really!  Such a professional, him and his staff. This is what they do.  I would highly recommend finding an oral surgeon.

And, it was not expensive, less than a visit to my regular dentist for a filling.

@JesssMe  I agree....I only go to the experts for what they do....a general dentist might say they can do a root canal or extraction...but why not pay for an expert in that field?  Yes you pay more....but worth it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a root canal and a crown done in 1992 on a top back molar. In 2004, as the dentist said, it went bad and the root canal failed. No choice but to extract it, was a piece of cake, no pain. all is holding up well today, no further treatment was needed. Good luck !!! Used only novacaine, went to an oral surgeon.. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

So, I have a root canal tooth that needs to be pulled, they took the crown off and determined it's to far gone so need to have it pulled.

My question is - Have you had this done and were you put under for it?

It is an extra 600 out of pocket for the sedation, I cannot do "laughing gas" as it makes me sick so its either stay away or be put under while they pull it.  I just want to hear what others did in the same circumstance.

Thank you!

@SandGirl    Usually, one is given oral injections, not put to sleep.

@mousiegirl   That is what I thought but he said IV and under for about 20 min, would need a driver and all that jazz. Reading all the comments I'm thinking I don't need to be put out for this!!

Respected Contributor

Haven't had it done, but will need to have it done soon. One is an old root canal and the pin has broken. Four others need to be pulled (all in the front). Two or 3 implants needed and a bridge.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 wrote:

Haven't had it done, but will need to have it done soon. One is an old root canal and the pin has broken. Four others need to be pulled (all in the front). Two or 3 implants needed and a bridge.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

$$$$ is right!! That is the reason I don't want to pay extra to be put out if I don't have to, the implant will be lots of $$ out of pocket!!!  ugg (going to make payments)

Honored Contributor

yes but it was a long time ago and I didn't have the crown.  I had the root canal and my dentist said I could wait a while for the crown.  I had used up my dental benefits for that year and he said waiting a couple of months would be fine.  He was wrong.  The tooth cracked and had to be taken out.  I never let them put me under for dental procedures even though I'm a bit of a dental phobic.  It was fine, I didn't feel any pain.  Or no pain worth remembering.

Respected Contributor

YOU ARE ALL AMAZING!!!

I appreicate each and every one of you that have replied, I REALLY DO!! It is helping me make a decision that I was on the fence about.

I do not think I will be put under for this, just numb me up good and yank that puppy out... I will just picture myself rolling around with a bunch of puppys until it's all over.

THANK YOU  Smiley Happy  Smiley Happy 

Valued Contributor

There are some people who don't do well just going to regular dentist, this is why you hear about dental sedation now adays.

I know 30 years ago when I had my all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, they did put me under as several of them were impacted in the gum still; otherwise they would have been able to just pull with novacaine.

Regular Contributor

Had it done 2.5 years ago and it was a freak show.  My tooth (molar, lower) broke in several pieces and it was a 1.5 hour extraction.  Fully awake, numbed several times throughout  as it kept wearing off.  The dentist did not want to admit it was above his skill level to remove.  He was very aggressive in my tooth removal and caused some nerve damage and knocked my TMJ out of whack.  I'm still dealing with the after effects. Physical therapy for TMJ, braces to correct my bite (still wearing) b/c it affected my other teeth on my lower jaw,  etc.

My advice: have an oral surgeon, not a dentist, remove the tooth . Just be sure the oral surgeon is good.  Oral surgeons remove teeth all the time and if they have to cut into your gum they can whereas a dentist can't.  Sometimes they can tell by the x-ray if they need to cut into your gum to get the tooth out.  If I had to get my gum cut, I would opt to be knocked out.  I know people who didn't and they did regret it.

Sorry my story is a bad one. I know it's not reassuring but do what you can to prepare for the worst case scenario.  I wish I had.  Good luck and I hope everything goes well.