Respected Contributor

Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

So, I have a root canal tooth that needs to be pulled, they took the crown off and determined it's to far gone so need to have it pulled.

My question is - Have you had this done and were you put under for it?

It is an extra 600 out of pocket for the sedation, I cannot do "laughing gas" as it makes me sick so its either stay away or be put under while they pull it.  I just want to hear what others did in the same circumstance.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Tooth Extraction on a old root canal tooth.... Question

When I had it done it was no big deal. Because the root was gone, the tooth came out in pieces. I just had novicane. I have never had "laughing gas" nor have I ever been put under for dental work. And I have had alot of stuff done.

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl 

DH had to have this done last week, no 'sedation', just novacaine and he did fine.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

I've had root canals, extractions and an implant and novacane worked just fine. Never did want to spend the extra money or feeling groggy afterward.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SandGirl  I've had it done and no I wasn't sedated. It's a bit nerve wracking, but with Novocaine I didn't feel any pain and the relief when it was over was worth the price of admission. My suggestion would be to save that $600 for something a lot more fun.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

I've endured a few of these while under Novocaine.  I felt no pain.  If you begin to feel pain, you need to alert your dentist so he/she can stop and give you more Novocaine.  I felt the pulling sensation of the extraction.  It's not painful you just feel it coming out.  

I've also had 3 dental implants inserted while under Novocaine.  If your dentist knows what he/she is doing, you should be fine.  

Esteemed Contributor

I had it done last year. Just Novacaine. It was over in about 15 minutes. I then got a dental implant for to replace the tooth. 

Honored Contributor

I don't like being put under for dental work.  I've survived several implants, bone grafting, and extractions....all with novocaine.  

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a tooth that had a root canal years ago.  It was the back molar on the top.  The tooth broke. My dentist suggested that I go to an oral surgeon to have it pulled. The oral surgeon was the best thing I have ever done when it comes to teeth.  After numbing it, he had that tooth out in about one minute, really!  Such a professional, him and his staff. This is what they do.  I would highly recommend finding an oral surgeon.

And, it was not expensive, less than a visit to my regular dentist for a filling.

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I had it done last year. Just Novacaine. It was over in about 15 minutes. I then got a dental implant for to replace the tooth. 

I plan to do the same thing. Thank you!!!