Honored Contributor

Re: This is a sort of delicate subject ... but here goes.

Take 3 stool softeners every night, very safe for long term use.

Respected Contributor

@patofl I have a disease that makes my calcium count very high. That in itself, gives me constipation. I can't digest a lot of fiber. I've tried many options and I found what works for me, I take 3 stool softeners daily (Costco) and every third night or so, as needed, I take Miralax with a glass of water. Sometimes, I don't need to take Miralax for a few weeks. I do happen to drink about 8-9 glasses of water daily. This has worked for me for years. You can tailor Miralax to your needs. I think and I may be wrong, pericolace is a laxative with a stool softener and colace is just a stool softener. Ask your doctor about Miralax and a generic softener if you decide to try a different way of handling your problem. Feel better!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I echo what others posted about taking in plenty of water, fiber, fresh fruits and vegetables.  Magnesium supplements work well and I think most people are magnesium deficient anyway.

Going at it from another angle, I would reduce or eliminate dairy as it it can be constipating, particularly cheese.  

Good luck! 😊

ETA:  I think processed foods are also constipating, whereas whole food have the opposite effect.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

Miralix mixed with Gatorade once or twice a day. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry you're suffering.  I went to amazon and bought Good State Ionic Magnesium.  I had purchased the book Magnesium miracle and had many symptoms of too little magnesium.  I have digestive problems and magnesium which comes in many forms is hard to assimilate.   This one works for many things and after taking it , it also cured my slow bowels.  It is not known to cause diarrhea.  One great thing that happened that I didn't expect, my arthitus pain shut off, like a light switch.   I put one cap full in a half gallon of water and drink it though out the day.  There are two sizes of bottles, 8 and 16 ounces.  I think it's a miracle in a bottle.goodstate.JPG.

Respected Contributor

My DH has this problem with the meds he takes. I made some homemade vegetable bean soup and that did the trick.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Regular Contributor

I highly recommend this brand, though I hate the name: PoopDoc. 

Miralax is bad for you long term but the above is not. My naturopath takes it (the whole family) and recommends it. It has helped me get past a bout of IBS. 

I take one pill nightly. 

You are supposed to eliminate several times a day to be healthy. This will do it. 

Honored Contributor

@patofl  When I had surgery a couple of years ago, I was laxatives for a very long time due to medications.  I had no trouble going back to normal.  You have to do something so I suggest a stool softener.  There is also one pill that is a mild stimulant and stool softener in one.  Good luck.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patofl wrote:

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

@patofl

I didn't see the source of your chronic pain issue. Personally, regardless of my pain level, the only pain med I can take that has anti-inflammatory properties is Zero, none. That leaves me with no other choice but a Tylenol type of OTC Med. I Will Not take an Opioid of any type for any pain level, temporary or chronic pain.

Many suggested food sources that promote cleaning the bowels, and were I in your position, I would try those remedies to start. My food program consists primarily of complex carbohydrates from fresh fruits/whole grains/100% fruit drinks, and lots of water.

That along with upping the amount of regular body movement(walking/swimming/skating/biking(recumbent or stationary if appropriate), any movement that increases ones Heart Rate. 

My nephew is an Anesthesiologist, and also owns 5 Pain Clinics. He has told me many times that some with "chronic pain issues" have more to do with their perception of their level of pain, than the reality. He has treated some with a Placebo, and they find their pain is gone, or greatly reduced.

He also said that he uses many other things besides Prescription Meds to successfully treat many of his Chronic Pain Patients. That's the best rundown I have to offer to you. Hopefully your are successful in finding relief.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@patofl wrote:

Those on pain meds for cronic painful health issues, how do you deal with the constpation that comes from the use of these drugs? I'm only on 50mg of Tramadol, which isn't too strong of a pain med. However, even though I can take up to 1 every 8 hours , I can actually only take one a day because if I take more I just get all bound up! For this reason I never take more than one pain med a day, and, of course, it doesn't last all day. My doctor recommended I take a pericolace with it, and I do. It seems to help some. He warned me it isn't a good idea to take daily laxatives as you can get dependant on them , and be unable to go without them. So I'm wondering what others do about this.

@patofl

I didn't see the source of your chronic pain issue. Personally, regardless of my pain level, the only pain med I can take that has anti-inflammatory properties is Zero, none. That leaves me with no other choice but a Tylenol type of OTC Med. I Will Not take an Opioid of any type for any pain level, temporary or chronic pain.

Many suggested food sources that promote cleaning the bowels, and were I in your position, I would try those remedies to start. My food program consists primarily of complex carbohydrates from fresh fruits/whole grains/100% fruit drinks, and lots of water.

That along with upping the amount of regular body movement(walking/swimming/skating/biking(recumbent or stationary if appropriate), any movement that increases ones Heart Rate. 

My nephew is an Anesthesiologist, and also owns 5 Pain Clinics. He has told me many times that some with "chronic pain issues" have more to do with their perception of their level of pain, than the reality. He has treated some with a Placebo, and they find their pain is gone, or greatly reduced.

He also said that he uses many other things besides Prescription Meds to successfully treat many of his Chronic Pain Patients. That's the best rundown I have to offer to you. Hopefully your are successful in finding relief.

hckynut

@hckynut- Can I ask why you refuse opiods?  Have you had a bad experience with them?  I know it's what they're going to start me on and all along I've been saying I'm afraid of them because I don't want to develop an addiction.  I have also heard to expect some very severe shoulder pain and incision site pain right after surgery, and the medical staff discourages toughing it out.  Normallly, I'm not one to take a lot pain medication except for once in a great while. This is a conundrum for sure.  I keep telling myself to limit the opiod to a few days and then switch to Tylenol.  I can usually tolerate pain pretty well so I wonder if I will really need the opiod at all but I also  believe the post-surgical pain will be like nothing I've ever experienced before.  I'd welcome any input.