Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

You all w/dr problems have you considered finding concierge doctors?

@Mz iMac   I have considered doing so.  I can't stand my current primary and have been asking around a lot to find someone new.  Most that I call aren't currently taking new patients.  Concierge doctors can be expensive but they will spend time & listen to you.  They aren't run by the insurance companies.

My DH goes to a doctor about an hour away ...he's not a concierge MD but  he doesn't take insurance.  You pay as you go.  The first visit was very expensive (DH has been seeing him for 7 years) but each visit after unless you get special tests, etc. costs $195.00.  The doctor will spend 45 minutes with him each time and the staff is the friendliest & most courteous that I've ever seen!

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 

Sorry, that's business, and not just health care fields. I have lost several "life long" doctors, and in a specific field where if is, in my opinion, much harder to adapt than with a GP/PCP.  That would be the Psychological Field.

My present GP office has changed so much that last Wednesday I made an appointment. This was not for a medical reason, but to spend all my(his) time talking about things that I did not like about his offices changes. Most of the topics he was just another doctor following changes made by "higher ups", who are not in any medical profession.

One problem could be addressed in the same building and he told me he wishes I would take it up with them. The reason was that they were someone that could make some changes. I went there and spent close to an hour speaking with a representative, and filling out paperwork for files of concerns of patients in my doctor's office. There are several other doctors in his practice, including my nephew-in-law.

Hopefully a few things will be changed, which was my goal and the reason I took my time to speak with this specific representative. I am a person that has always practiced this when have or see problems. I do not talk only to  people to air(vent), I take whatever steps are necessary, to address my issues, but with someone that has the authority to make changes. To do otherwise i see as a waste of my time, and their's.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

The health care delivery problems in this forum are of great concern to all of us. I think that these are things that we should all be thinking about when we vote for our elected officials — it is critical to know the candidates’ viewpoints on health care and to vote accordingly, thinking about the long range implications of your vote for health care in this country. The shrinking number of doctors is alarming and the less we pay them and the more paperwork we pile on them, the greater the problem will be.

Trusted Contributor

It's weird that the doctors didn't notify you. If they are moving on to another practice you would think they'd want to have you follow them. Are they already closed? Seems like you would need a formal notice to get your records or have them transferred. Did they mention that in the recording?

Respected Contributor
I believe you have a legal right to your medical records.They will give you a copy on requests.
Honored Contributor

I take three prescription meds.  I go to two docs presently to get my prescriptions.  That’s it. 

I will be seeing a cardiologist next week, but don’t think anything’s wrong with my heart other than old age.  I think I have POTS, and there’s no treatment for that except to eat more salt.

I gave up on docs a long time ago.  And I’m over 80, so they don’t care anyway.

As usual, I worry about what my kids and grandkids will have to face in this changing world.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Happened to my husband with his dermatologist. He had an appt scheduled in advance and all of a sudden got a call to cancel the appt and his doctor was gone. And, the new docs were not taking on any new patients. 

Not even a notice about his old doc leaving - nothing. So rude.

He just had another one do the same thing - thank goodness his cardiologist found him another doctor to do the tests that were scheduled.

Esteemed Contributor

Someone in this thread mentioned the intake tablets that many doctors now use.  The first time I encountered these was at my cardiologist; where obviously, most of the patients are 50+.  Many of these people are not very computer literate and when one asked for help, a helpful admin type came into the lobby to assist.  So, there they sat, the data input person asking the patient all those personal questions.  Can you say "HIPA"?  And I'm sure the tablets are repositories for germs.  I was so disturbed by this practice that I walked out to hospital admin office and complained.  I'm computer savvy but this isn't much of an efficiency.