Esteemed Contributor

Are colds and viruses running through your household?

My second 'cold' in 3 weeks. Have appointment at 'drop in' clinic this Sunday morning and will most likely miss work tomorrow. Have missed 2 days of work and both husband and I took days off work with sick grandson. I don't remember this going on fall 2018. Thoughts? Had my flu shot earlier this month. How about you? Be well, friends. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Are colds and viruses running through your household?

@jeanlake @Hope you feel better soon.i don’t know anyone who has been sick yet but I am sure it’s coming soon.What state do you live in? Is your grandson better?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry to hear about your illnesses.

No humans are sick in my family.  My DH and I don't usually get colds, knock on wood.

If I get sick it is always a digestive illness. That is my weak area. I am queen of the bathroom throne.

One of my dogs has pneumonia  We almost lost her last weekend.  She was so sick and spent time overnight  in a Vet hospital with IV's and oxygen. She is better now, but still not 100%.  She has to be antibiotics for another three weeks, at least.

i hope you and your family have a healthier fall and winter.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you -- trusting I will feel better after seeing doc. Grandson is still stuffy but doc said no ear or throat problems. I usually don't get sick but this thing is taking me on! Many people at campus have been ill. We all breathe on one another. I live in central Midwest, the middle of the country. Have never had fall allergies before, but who knows. Maybe I should take a daily teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, as daughter suggested.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

When you work it's impossible to avoid the germs.  And being around children is another germ opportunity.  When I worked at school I got the stomach crud....,vomiting and fever..,,at least once a season, no matter how scrupulously I washed my hands, wiped down surfaces, only touched doorknobs with a tissue or paper towel in my hand.  It was just floating in the air!

i have been retired around 6 years now...,have not been sick with a cold or stomach crud once in that time.

Trusted Contributor

Grandkids brought something home from school and it's gone through all of us. I'm starting on my 4th week. Headcold, coughing, sore throat. 

Honored Contributor

Regardless of the season, I am always on alert against bacteria and germs.   Between what teacher daughter and trucker carry in, and what we are exposed to locally and in VA facilities, the wipe downs and hand washing is always at full speed.   The amount of hand soap we use in this house is surprising.

I also use 6+ bottles of peroxide yearly, as we disinfect our toothbrushes before and after brushing.   When my girls were small, I learned the toothbrush and shared tube of toothpaste were a main source of germ sharing.   

I toss my lip balms often.   Wet wipes are always in my handbag; I wipe off my car keys frequently, and probably have one of the cleanest cell phones to be found.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Regardless of the season, I am always on alert against bacteria and germs.   Between what teacher daughter and trucker carry in, and what we are exposed to locally and in VA facilities, the wipe downs and hand washing is always at full speed.   The amount of hand soap we use in this house is surprising.

I also use 6+ bottles of peroxide yearly, as we disinfect our toothbrushes before and after brushing.   When my girls were small, I learned the toothbrush and shared tube of toothpaste were a main source of germ sharing.   

I toss my lip balms often.   Wet wipes are always in my handbag; I wipe off my car keys frequently, and probably have one of the cleanest cell phones to be found.   

@RedTop   As my pediatrician once told me, "you may have sterilized his gut to the point he has no immune system remaining."  

Honored Contributor

@jeanlake   I'm sorry you're so sick.  I hope the Clinic will be able to help you today.

@Carmie   I'm very sorry your dog has pneumonia.  I'm glad she seems to be getting better now and hope she has a full recovery.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Not that bad yet ... but there is a lot of sniffiling going on ....