Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

This is so true. We go for check-ups twice a year. Itā€™s very important to find a good dentist who you feel comfortable going to. I resisted flossing because my gums would get so sore afterwards. Now, in addition to flossing everyday, I use Go Betweens by GUM after flossing. These look like tiny bottle brushes that come in 4 sizes. I use 3 of the 4 sizes because of the different sized spaces between my teeth. Youā€™d be surprised whatā€™s still in there after flossing šŸ˜§.  The same holds true true for your eyes and eye care. Iā€™ve worn glasses since I was 8 years old. Our health plan doesnā€™t cover much of our dental or vision care, but weā€™re fortunate to be able to afford to pay for decent care. 

@Eileen in Virginia

I use those little brushes in between my teeth every time I eat something. I cannot stand to have in between my teeth. I hardly ever floss. I hate it. My dentist told me it was ok as long as I was using the little brushes.

You would be surprised what's still in between your teeth after brushing & flossing. I use my magnifying mirror & dental scaler.

Esteemed Contributor

I am 74 and am blessed with outstanding natural teeth (never needed braces).  I have had many dentists laud my beautiful teeth.  I religiously get semi annual cleanings and checkups, use a sonic toothbrush and a butler tool.  I do not close as my teeth are close together and that is very uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

More importent than seeing a dentist is daily dental care.  You must brush everyday and use floss, brushes or something to remove debris from between the teeth.  I carry floss with me and floss several times a day.

I do get check-ups every six months, but the dental hygienist doesn't have much work to do.  I keep my teeth free from plaque buildup and My gums are super healthy.  The dental hygienist said she has never seen gums healthy as mine in an adult of any age.  She said genetics played a part in my healthy gums.

I use a Sonicare toothbrush twice a day and will brush for two sessions if I ate something sticky.

if you do not brush everyday, but go to see the dentist every few months...it is better than nothing, but it is the daily care that is the most important issue.  

Gum disease is very dangerous.

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

This is so true. We go for check-ups twice a year. Itā€™s very important to find a good dentist who you feel comfortable going to. I resisted flossing because my gums would get so sore afterwards. Now, in addition to flossing everyday, I use Go Betweens by GUM after flossing. These look like tiny bottle brushes that come in 4 sizes. I use 3 of the 4 sizes because of the different sized spaces between my teeth. Youā€™d be surprised whatā€™s still in there after flossing šŸ˜§.  The same holds true true for your eyes and eye care. Iā€™ve worn glasses since I was 8 years old. Our health plan doesnā€™t cover much of our dental or vision care, but weā€™re fortunate to be able to afford to pay for decent care. 

Thought about adding the importance of flossing knew someone would. 

I also enjoy GUM brushes. Especially as we age yearly checkups. Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

More importent than seeing a dentist is daily dental care.  You must brush everyday and use floss, brushes or something to remove debris from between the teeth.  I carry floss with me and floss several times a day.

I do get check-ups every six months, but the dental hygienist doesn't have much work to do.  I keep my teeth free from plaque buildup and My gums are super healthy.  The dental hygienist said she has never seen gums healthy as mine in an adult of any age.  She said genetics played a part in my healthy gums.

I use a Sonicare toothbrush twice a day and will brush for two sessions if I ate something sticky.

if you do not brush everyday, but go to see the dentist every few months...it is better than nothing, but it is the daily care that is the most important issue.  

Gum disease is very dangerous.

Yes agree proper hygiene starts at home. I have used Sonicare for years. 

Last year purchased professional model from my Dentist he gave me a tremendous discount. My gums are healthy no receding. Thanks!