Honored Contributor

You might not realize our wellness is connected with healthy teeth and gums. 

Checkups vital preventive risks associated with many illnesses.

Honored Contributor

Two things I do not neglect--my teeth and my eyes.  A cousin of mine is having serious problems with an infection that may affect a heart valve.  It is suspected that it started with his gums.  I fortunately was able to find affordable dental insurance through Humana.  Medicare should make it part of its basic plan.

Honored Contributor

Re: Teeth Health šŸ˜

[ Edited ]

I've known this for more years than I can count. Not news to me.

Honored Contributor

People can get all sorts of infections in their heart and joints and other organs from infected gums.

Honored Contributor

I've always taken good care of my teeth and gone for regular checkups.  I don't plan on changing anything.

Honored Contributor

Re: Teeth Health šŸ˜

[ Edited ]

@Love my grandkids 

You might be surprised learning for some unaware of the risk factors. 

My hope is for those such people sharing will make a difference.

Respected Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Love my grandkids 

You might be surprised learning for some unaware of the risk factors. 

My hope is for those such people sharing will make a difference.

@Sweet_Serenityyou're right. There are many reasons why everyone does not  know. Even on these forums some posters have said they haven't been to a dentist in many years. In other cases if one gets their teeth cleaned regularly their dentist may assume they are already aware of the connection. 

Honored Contributor

Senior dental is very expensive.  Most seniors cannot afford to go to a dentist because of financial reasons.  The main one is "affordable" dental coverage either through their "supplemental" Medicare coverage or a separate dental insurance program.

There are very few separate "affordable" dental programs for seniors.  And the ones out there, you better read ALL of the small print (you need a telescope to read it, magnifying glass will not do).  "Cosmetic" dentistry is rarely covered.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

This is so true. We go for check-ups twice a year. Itā€™s very important to find a good dentist who you feel comfortable going to. I resisted flossing because my gums would get so sore afterwards. Now, in addition to flossing everyday, I use Go Betweens by GUM after flossing. These look like tiny bottle brushes that come in 4 sizes. I use 3 of the 4 sizes because of the different sized spaces between my teeth. Youā€™d be surprised whatā€™s still in there after flossing šŸ˜§.  The same holds true true for your eyes and eye care. Iā€™ve worn glasses since I was 8 years old. Our health plan doesnā€™t cover much of our dental or vision care, but weā€™re fortunate to be able to afford to pay for decent care. 

Honored Contributor

I hate to go to the dentist. They hound you to death about coming in twice per year for cleanings with all the x-rays. I for one don't need all those x-rays.

I use a Sonicare Diamond electric toothbrush plus scale my own teeth.

If I had an issue with my gums I would make an appt. I don't have any gum issues.

When my dentist retired I did not see a dentist for over 10 yrs. They asked me if I could come in to show their patients how to keep their teeth clean. LOL!!! They could not believe I had not seen a dentist in over 10 yrs.

Even if I went in for a cleaning right now my teeth would feel the same as they do now. Clean.

I have only seen the eye doctor twice since I moved here in 1973. I don't wear glasses or reading glasses.