Respected Contributor

Re: Teeth.....Again.... FRUSTRATION

If the dentist didn't see any infection when he replaced the crown, the infection may be new.  Infections below the gum line can reach the heart and cause major problems.

Do the root canal but make sure you are put on antibiotics to deal with the infection.  Have checkup afterwards to make sure the infection is cleared.  By saving the tooth you may also be preventing the rest of your top teeth from shifting or loosening.

( My friend, 
who had gum problems, found herself on an IV in her living room to clear up an infection from the gums that had reached her knee replacement....its replacement had to be postponed  until the infection cleared. Gum surgery followed. )

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Am so sorry you are going thru this.  Is it at all possible to get another opinion? 

Recently I changed dentists after almost 15 years. I'm so glad I did.  My old dentist started made a comment as now that people were taking care of their teeth, he wouldn't be making any money.  I did the invisable braces with him and the braces were not aligning about midway thru....he didn't go back to the company but decided he could change the way they fit on his own...didn't work. He wanted to do a bridge when I insisted on going to a paradontist for a consult. 

The new dentist is younger, has new procedures to help w/my receeding gums and now my sensitivity is almost gone. 

Super Contributor

@cindyNC   I am very interested in hearing, what these "new procedures" are that help with receding gums?  Please tell us.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden 

If you have tooth extraction done be sure and get bone grafted into the vacant sockets to prevent bone loss. An empty socket will continue to lose bone and as much as 30% in the course of year's span. Even though some of my lost teeth will never be replaced with an implant, my dentist has placed grafts in the empty sockets so I won't have continued bone loss in those parts of my jaw bone.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden So sorry you are again having tooth issues.  I've mentioned before that dentists & me aren't on a first name basis.   I remember that you have had issues but in my opinion have bravely gone through what's necessary to fix them. I hope there's an answer that helps w/o too much $.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister has a huge ongoing problem with gingivitis, (her gums have bacteria below the gum line) and she has constant recession. But she is desperately trying to keep her teeth. She is currently having laser treatment to help- Its been a 2 phase scenario where they first clean out her gums and then do a series of laser treatment to kill the bacteria and stimulate tissue growth- I believe this is the latest in treatments for this- 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Love orchids This procedure was new to me.........composite fillings at the gumline

• Filling material: Something else we can do which doesn’t fix the recession but it can fix recession related sensitivity is to bond filling material over the area of recession covering it up and insulating it so that you can drink ice water eat ice cream and do those things comfortably.

I had about 5 of these done last week and it made a huge difference with sensitivity. I don't think it will cure or change the recession. 

Super Contributor

@cindyNC  Will these composite fillings keep the gums from receding more?

Respected Contributor

@Love orchids  I don't believe they will keep the gums from receding more but I believe they cover the exposed root of the tooth to help with sensitivity. 

Honestly, I had never heard of this procedure until I saw the new dentist a few weeks ago. I have to return to have some chipped teeth repaird and I will as that question (as it's a good question).  

Super Contributor

@cindyNC  Thank you for the information and look forward to hearing  what advice your dentist gives you about preventing gums from receding more, other than thorough cleaning everyday.