Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Teeter inversion table man on QVC now

@Teddie 

I am really sorry that all of you had to go through that terrible time. I really don't know if the bleeding sped up his death, I only know that during my many weeks in the hospital, while bleeding I can say this.

Most of the time I could tell when my Hemoglobin number dropped to the low 7's. How weak I felt is hard to describe. I think only those that have experienced long term single digit Hemoglobin numbers can really get it. 

Other than my bleeding I was very healthy and also very physically fit. They had distances measured on the Heart Floor, and there were days that I walked 10-12 miles, and very few that were less than 5 miles. These were not what anyone would call a leisurely walk. But when I got unusually tired, I knew it was time for another couple units of blood.

I understand! It was just my mother and I living together in her last few years. My sisters had all married and had their own families. Over years I watched my very independent mother go little by little downhill, and me being able to do nothing to change it. Each time the doctor told her "quit doing this" I could see a little bit of her spirit die.

Those were probably the worst years of my life, both before and after she died, on Valentines Day 1969.

My best to you,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I asked my doctor about them as they looked like fun. She said that they are very dangerous if you have macular degeneration, glaucoma, heart disease or hypertension. Apparently, being upside down increases blood pressure and is very unhealthy. Who knew?

I knew. It's very dangerous to hang upside down (even leaning forward, as in touching your toes) for very long if you have any eye issues-- retinal tears, macular degeneration, anything having to do with retinal detachment, strokes in the eye, glaucoma, any pressure-related issues.

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

I asked my doctor about them as they looked like fun. She said that they are very dangerous if you have macular degeneration, glaucoma, heart disease or hypertension. Apparently, being upside down increases blood pressure and is very unhealthy. Who knew?

I knew. It's very dangerous to hang upside down (even leaning forward, as in touching your toes) for very long if you have any eye issues-- retinal tears, macular degeneration, anything having to do with retinal detachment, strokes in the eye, glaucoma, any pressure-related issues.

Yes, my reply was rhetorical. I just added that bit of information which clearly has fallen on deaf ears for some, that using an inversion table and having certain conditions is reckless at best. Just goes to show, though, that even when some people know about the risks, they continue to go their merry way....

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Yes, my reply was rhetorical. I just added that bit of information which clearly has fallen on deaf ears for some, that using an inversion table and having certain conditions is reckless at best. Just goes to show, though, that even when some people know about the risks, they continue to go their merry way....

I also think it's reckless, at best, and unconscionable, at worst, that these contraindications aren't mentioned during presentations. Maybe, they are? I don't really watch. I saw a few presentations a couple of years ago. Nothing was mentioned. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You have been very kind.

I know of your past too and I think what you must have all gone through. Losing your mother must have been the most devastating event in your life and I’m sure it continues to affect you. I really am so sorry.

I feel the same way about losing my dad. I also lost my mother when I was 9. Different relatives offered to take us 4 kids but my dad wasn’t going to allow us all to be split up. And he needed us and we needed him. 

Thank you for your kindness and offering to chat with me. You are a stellar person.