Honored Contributor

Re: Stupid Question for women 65+

On 1/7/2015 EnglishRose88 said: I'm 55 years old and I retired 7 years ago. I was in the medical field but I was in the administration department and had to dress nicely everyday. No scrub suits. I've always enjoyed dressing nicely even during my non working hours. Now that my life is at a much slower pace, I still dress nicely. For instance, I had to run a few errands and go to the grocery yesterday. My makeup was on, hair done nicely, fingernails manicured, had on a black maxi dress with an animal print infinity scarf. Medium size gold "coin type" earring, nice watch. I always get stopped on my outings by ladies and a few gentlemen that compliment me on the way I look. Personally I do not like the look of sweat pants, yoga pants, pj bottoms, sloppy tshirts and the like. I think our nation and society in general have become too casual. I was watching an old Cary Grant movie the other night on TMC. The scene was in the dining car of a train. The ladies were dressed in gorgeous dresses, some wearing hats. The men had suits on. I long for those days to return.

Wow, you retired early! Nice! I find that how I dress depends on my weight. Right now I'm up in my weight but am doing WW and doing well. I have sooo many nice clothes to get back to so that is part of my motivation. I like casual clothes as well but not everyday.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 fromthebronx said:

Rina, this is not a stupid question and I totally get where you are at! I am 61 and planning to retire at 66. I work in NYC in a field where I have to dress well. I have a closet full of work-appropriate clothing and I love shopping and buying clothes. I know I won't have any need for dressy outfits when I retire, but I wonder how I'm gonna be able to refrain from buying stuff I won't wear. Everybody's thoughts on this subject have been very interesting to me.

I'm 67 and plan to retire in June. I've already stopped buying clothes because I have too, too many already even though I've donated things. If I find that I'm out and about more than I vision after retirement, I'll buy something if it's really need something. That goes for jewelry, too.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

It's not that complicated. It's just a matter of lifestyle and personal preference. Some women retire and opt for a more casual, relaxted manner of dressing. Some women continue to dress the way the did when they were working. That's simply who they are. I'm no where near retirement or retirement age but I know that when that time comes, it probably won't affect the way I dress. I'm sure I'll get up in the morning and choose the same type of outfit that I would wear to work. I am not and never will be a "dress down" type of person. My bff is 72, she retired two years ago and she dresses exactly the same as she did when she went into an office everyday. And she shops as much as she ever did. Retirement hasn't affected her "fashionista" status at all.

Esteemed Contributor

many years ago I use to wear dresses all the time...the years following I no longer had a job in that type of work environment...our uniforms were khaki pants and a knit top....I have since retired....but I long to purchase all those lovely dresses...skirts...blazers they show...unfortunately I no longer go anywhere other then the market...or the occasional visit to my sons...certainly don't need any of those pretties for that...lol...

Honored Contributor

You should wear whatever makes YOU happy. If that means wearing a great outfit to walk the dog, do it. If that means wearing sweat pants on the couch, do it. You're doing it for YOU, not for anyone else, so do whatever you want. You've earned it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 circles said:

many years ago I use to wear dresses all the time...the years following I no longer had a job in that type of work environment...our uniforms were khaki pants and a knit top....I have since retired....but I long to purchase all those lovely dresses...skirts...blazers they show...unfortunately I no longer go anywhere other then the market...or the occasional visit to my sons...certainly don't need any of those pretties for that...lol...

You might not NEED pretty clothes in your life but if you WANT to occasionally were a lovely dress with heels and pearls to go to the grocery store or to see your son.....why not do it?

Occasional Contributor

I love clothes and jewelry...I'm 65! It will be a hard addiction to break when I retire!!! Did I mention shoes....been addicted to those ALWAYS!!! Yes - over the years I've given up those sexy shoes and gotten low heeled shoes (and that kills me --but comfort took over)..Still always look for stylish comfort shoes. Yup - - I don't know how I'm every going to get over a life-long addiction to clothes/jewelry, etc. Guess I'll keep on working longer!!! LOL

Respected Contributor

I think it takes a little time to realize you have a different lifestyle. Before I retired in August I mainly bought work clothes and less casual. Now that my lifestyle has changed it has reversed as my interests have changed. But it takes a little time for the mind to adjust!!!

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2015 kittymomNC said:

When I first retired from the corporate world, I spent a couple of years going on buying "sprees" for casual clothes... jeans, jean jackets, tops, boots, you name it. I had always spent most of my money on clothes for work, and didn't have time to do a lot that only required casual dressing. So I went overboard. And I must confess, even though I had owned a jewelry business at one time (really good "high fashion jewelry", not the real thing) and had bags full of samples left over, I went on a jewelry buying spree as well, only it was things like real turquoise & silver, Carolyn Pollack type pieces, lots of rings, watches, etc.

But I just couldn't let go of my "corporate" wardrobe... I kept jackets, suits, pants, shoes, most of which I will never wear again. And I'm still really tempted to buy those kinds of clothes. I think it may have something to do with the way we identified ourselves in the work world... it was a lifetime thing for me, and I was entering a totally different part of my life. It was somewhat of a shock. I'm just now starting to get rid of the pieces I no longer need, and trying to make more room in my closets for the new things I bought! {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

It took me three years to finally get rid of it all. I finally disposed of the suits, shoes and bags in the summer of 2013 ... 12 big bags to the Salvation Army.

Frequent Contributor

I so empathize! The highlights of my days are dog walking and some errands. I still have designer suits and other nice clothing (and designer shoes!) in a spare closet. Even when I had an opportunity to travel in 2013, Linea clothes were perfect for my needs.

I, too, love Joan Rivers-type style. I still buy her Bee pins because they go with anything - well, maybe too dressy for dog-walking!

I think we hope to have the opportunity to wear the type of clothes we were used to. Frankly, when I wear a Judith Ripka bangle to the grocery store, it gets in my way. Here's an admission: I bought 2 black dresses (one for Spring-Summer, one for Winter) in 2008 in anticipation of my father's death. I did wear one of them in 2009 when he died, but have absolutely no use for them now. I no longer lived close to my Dad, and no longer had the budget to go to a mall, so I felt I needed to be prepared. So, thank you QVC and Chloe Dau for the outfit I wore{#emotions_dlg.unsure}. Funny how we feel about things. I hope this doesn't sound cold, I was a real Daddy's girl.