Contributor

I am having a Lexiscan Sestamibi Stress Test next week . I am not a brave person and I am scared to death. Anyone had one and should I be overly concerned?

Honored Contributor

My husband has had it done when his knee was messed up and he couldn't walk on the treadmill for the normal stress test. What are you scared of? I know he said he didn't like the way it made him feel. But it doesn't last a really long time.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I had this type of stress test done a little over a year ago. Over several decades I have had about every type of stress test protocol that exists, and then some. I had this type of stress test and this time because I was experiencing different types of symptoms and because of my two heart attacks my cardiologist did not want to have me do the typical type of walking running stress test.

The only thing I can say about this type of test is that I did have a rather strange feeling that I had not experienced before, but this does not fall into the category of pain. There is no reason for you to be afraid of this type of test unless you are just the type of person that is prone to be concerned about any type of procedure. While I can understand your concern about the outcome of this procedure I wouldn't worry beyond that.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm very surprised that your doctor didn't discuss what to expect when he/she was deciding what test to give you. Here is info off the Internet:

http://www.somc.org/heart/testing/lexiscan.php

I had a test a year or so ago November. I went into the ER because of a radiating pain going down my shoulder to my elbows and back again. Never had anything like it before and of course was concerned. Spent about 10 hours in the ER and the next morning went for a Stress Test (I don't think it was the Lexiscan)... everything turned out fine. Turns out it wasn't my heart at all but a pinched neck nerve!

You'll be absolutely fine. They know what they're doing and they're watching you carefully. Good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

It is not surprising to me at all that the doctors didn't tell her what to expect. The doctors or nurses can give you some literature on what you might feel, but I have been around enough patients that have had this done and everyone does not experience the same type of feeling.

Those that are administering the test or procedure usually make you well aware of what to expect once they inject the radioactive substance into your IV. These technicians are much more qualified to tell you what you might expect because most of them have done enough of these tests and have gotten feedback from all types of different patients.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Don't be nervous, the worst part of this type of stress test for me was that it made me sick to my stomach. That feeling didn't last long however and all was well. I had it when I was having knee surgery and was unable to work out on a treadmill. Best of luck to you!

Honored Contributor

I had it done last June, there are a few minutes of discomfort when they inject the chemical into you, my doctor was there and talked me through it, your heart will beat very rapidly for a few seconds, and then it slows down

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I find it interesting because I got an email from AARP and it is on the list of the 10 tests to avoid because it rarely proves anything. I have had this test 3 times in the past, not my favorite test but the feeling of discomfort did not last very long. Now I don't know what I will do if doctor suggests it again.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I just had it done about a month ago...no big deal. They give you the isotope, I felt no effects from that.

Are they going to give you Adenosine, a drug to stress your heart, or are they going to make you run on a treadmill?

I had the Adenosine...I didn't really feel any effects from that either.

I had a stress test 2 yrs ago and they ran me ragged on a treadmill. I felt the effects of that...for a couple of days after{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Worst part is, it's time consuming..take about 2 and half hours.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

I thought I had had this test, but when I looked it up I realized mine was different. It was called a nuclear stress test, because they injected radioisotopes into my blood stream, but I did have to get on a treadmill at one point, and they also did the scans before and after that. It took about 3+ hours. I was scared to death about the injection of radioisotopes, but had no ill effects during or after the test. Good luck with yours.