Honored Contributor

PB junk food?? What is that? Weeds? I just had to laugh at that analogy. Smiley LOL

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Plant based diet...is she getting her body's required proteins...hair loss?  

When people severely restrict calories, the body begins using muscles as energy rather than stored fat causing a reduced metabolism rate.  Is she by any chance eating less than 1,000 calories? 

Why does she fast if she's on a 1,000 calorie diet?  I suspect she's eating less than that.  

However, there are a few medications and other medical conditions than those you mentioned that can make losing weight very difficult.

What does her doctor say?

Respected Contributor

I say this with kindness but your friend may have developed an eating disorder.  A doctor other than a medical doctor may be in order.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC unkind/baiting

Honored Contributor

She's losing her hair because she is protein deficient.  She isn't eating enough protein. The rest of it doesn't make much sense to me.  It's time for her to see a doctor.  1000 calories a day is very close to starvation mode which means that even if she is not overweight, she should still be losing weight.  Especially after so many months on such a restricted diet.  If someone told me that story, I wouldn't believe it.  It just doesn't ring true that someone could eat like that....for months....and only lose 5lbs.  Even more suspicious is why would she continue in that mode if the intent was to lose weight?  You only saw what she ate when she was with you, you have now way of knowing what she really eats.

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Plant based diet...is she getting her body's required proteins...hair loss?  

When people severely restrict calories, the body begins using muscles as energy rather than stored fat causing a reduced metabolism rate.  Is she by any chance eating less than 1,000 calories? 

Why does she fast if she's on a 1,000 calorie diet?  I suspect she's eating less than that.  

However, there are a few medications and other medical conditions than those you mentioned that can make losing weight very difficult.

What does her doctor say?

Doctor?

This whole thing is based on a FB weight loss page.   !!!!  Of course, everyone else in the FB is losing all kinds of weight  (insert eye roll)

Yes, she eats less than 1000 calories a day.  1000 calories is a cheat day.  Fasting days are lemon water all day.

Part of the daily plan is a plant-based shake.  Sold by the FB group.

She loves fruit and vegetables so she enjoys the diet.  But is very frustrated by the lack of weight loss.

All I could think was "obviously this is NOT working so why do you keep doing it?"   I did not say that of course, I just listened and offered sympathy.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

PB junk food?? What is that? Weeds? I just had to laugh at that analogy. Smiley LOL

Potato chips, pop corn, French fries, energy bars, pretzels, corn chips.  There is a lot of plant based processed and junk food to choose from.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

She's losing her hair because she is protein deficient.  She isn't eating enough protein.

She's not eating enough calories.

There's no such thing as being protein 'deficient'.

If there is, that patient would be hospitalized w/ a host of other issues.

Cause of hair loss could be a myriad of other issues.

Protein isn't a magical hair-making-machine macronutrient. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Starvation mode

[ Edited ]

As usual, we seem to have amateur doctors and nutritionists around here  (who don't post their professional credentials), but    who  seem to know a whole lot about a patient they've never met.

If only we all could be so wise..................

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

As usual, we seem to have amateur doctors and nutritionists around here  (who don't post their professional credentials), but    who  seem to know a whole lot about a patient they've never met.

If only we all could be so wise..................

ITA

Declaring someone is protein 'deficient' is...odd.

Especially since there's no such thing in this day/age.