Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

So how long does this flu hang on?

My husband came down with it this morning.....first the chills and now a fever. Are we looking at a week?????

TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Regular Contributor

Re: So how long does this flu hang on?

I would say a week. My husband started New Years Day and still recovering. He actually was at work and someone had to drive him home. He was dizzy ,disoriented and sounded drunk. I took him to the doctors, 103.5 temp. He was put on Tamiflu pills right away. His temp is down but coughing like crazy. I was sick from Monday to yesterday, coughing very very bad and fever and tired and wanted to sleep. I even had a flu shot is year !

Super Contributor

Many flu's can have symptoms that last at least a week. You can also have lingering fatigue for much longer. Make sure he gets lots of rest, fluids, eats lightly and doesn't go back to work too early.

Super Contributor

Watch for a lingering cough and congestion too. Some people can develop bronchitis or pneumonia following the flu.

Respected Contributor

Step daughter (age 68) just got over the flu of the season. Docs had her on meds for almost two weeks. She is better now, and beginning to get back into action, but for one full week she was terribly sick, and another week getting better and stronger. It's a nasty bug! Her husband and son (age 18) both got it from her, and it took them a week or ten days to get appreciably better.

Wishing your husband good health in a hurry!

Respected Contributor

I had a high temp and my dr. prescribed Tamiflu over the phone. My drugstore was out of it, as were all the CVSs in town. In the meantime, it became apparent I had the stomach flu and I have felt it for almost 2 weeks. Also, I got a UTI--thank God for those AZO strips because my GYN prescribed for that over the phone. Lesson learned--be prepared to hunt around for Tamiflu.

Regular Contributor

On 1/4/2015 KarenQVC said:

I had a high temp and my dr. prescribed Tamiflu over the phone. My drugstore was out of it, as were all the CVSs in town. In the meantime, it became apparent I had the stomach flu and I have felt it for almost 2 weeks. Also, I got a UTI--thank God for those AZO strips because my GYN prescribed for that over the phone. Lesson learned--be prepared to hunt around for Tamiflu.

I agree KarenQVC I - 3 drugstores were out of Tamiflu, Walgreens had and 1 hour wait. My husband and I went to the doctor together. My doc gave me nothing to help me, I had to beg for cough medicine, he said you can share with hubby. Even though I told him I almost passed out New Years eve. I see him once a year for physical. Give me a break I'm not a drug addict. My husband still has a fever up and down.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much (I think {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} ) for all your comments. It really came on him fast. We were at church this morning and he started to get the chills. We left early, came home, and he went right to bed. I may call the doctor in the morning......I doubt that I could get much satisfaction tonight. The prayer list at church was full of people with the flu or bronchitis/laryngitis. My DH had surgery for a broken ankle (fell of a ladder, painting) on the 23rd. He saw the surgeon Friday, the 2nd. I wonder if he picked up something in the waiting room there?? Not a good month.......

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

First three days, fever, chills and coughing constantly. Didn't feel like eating a thing. The cough lasted another week. I'm two weeks from my first symptoms and still feel dragged out and tired. Had the flu shot. It's a nasty one that you don't recover from quickly. Almost everyone I know that had it has felt lousy for 2 weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my......