Contributor

Treadmill verses Elliptical / Need Expert Opionions

I am hoping to get some solid advise in regards to purchasing an expensive piece of exercise equipment. I love to walk for my favorite form of exercise, so a treadmill fits here (I cannot run). An elliptical combines the upper torso movement with the bars. Here's my concern; I have arthritis, degenerative disc disease along with sciactica on my left side, and have had multiple nerve blocking injections (only temporary relief). So, I am wondering if the upper movement and spinal twisting of an elliptical would prove to do me more harm, or is this movement actually a good release for the spine? I want a piece of equipment I am comfortable using, that is not going to cause me more pain, causing me to abandon an expensive piece of equipment just to sit in the basement.

TIA, Paula

Honored Contributor

Re: Treadmill verses Elliptical / Need Expert Opionions

My advice would be to get a gym membership for a month, try out both types of machines, and see if consistent use of the elliptical aggravates your condition.

Trusted Contributor

I cannot speak to your specific issue, but because I have very bad knees, I cannot use the elliptical. It makes me bend my knee at too sharp an angle and push down while bent. I can use the treadmill easily. I can also ride a bike, just have to raise the seat a bit. Have you tried a rowing machine?

You can usually get free visitor passes at any gym. You could go to some gyms to try various pieces of equipment. I am sure you will find something that works.

Super Contributor

I agree with the other responses of trying a gym membership to see if an elliptical trainer will aggravate your sciatica. I am very tall and have a hard time with some elliptical trainers banging my knees against the front. I find a treadmill to be the best piece of cardio equipment for me. Hope you find what you are looking for. Happy New Year.

Honored Contributor

All good responses. My thought though, if you're living in a larger city...for the amount of $ spent for a quality machine, you could get a nice gym membership where you could have a choice of treadmill, elliptical, weights, classes...where you're not limited to what is down in your basement, you know? Something to consider.

Valued Contributor

Both my dh and I have the same ortho/sports med doctor and he has been great at info for certain pains Or injuries and what will work best. We also have two health clubs and I agree that trying out machines might be best prior to purchasing at home. a great PT can help you as well so you don't further injure yourself. Good luck, being active is key! Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

HighL, here's my two cents having made a similar decision a few years ago. My doctor's advice was to go to an elliptical from a treadmill as I was having knee issues. The treadmill is harder on knees than the elliptical, at least for me. I don't run anymore but can use the elliptical at a run pace without pounding on my knees.

The big challenge for me in choosing an elliptical was to find one with the right stride for me. I bought a commercial grade elliptical ($3500 I think). I tried several before I made my decision. Any store that sells good equipment will let you do a workout or two on their machines. Many ellipticals a give you a choice to use the 'moving' arm bars or use ones that remain in place so you don't have to have the arm movement unless you want it.

Buying a piece of exercise equipment is an investment to me and lasts many years if you get a good one. I would never buy a machine without trying it out first. Whether you do it in the store or in the gym, do try it out.

Someone suggested a rowing machine. I would definitely not buy one of these without finding out if it is an exercise that suits you especially if you have knee issues. We own an Octane 37 elliptical, a Concept II rowing machine and a Stamina Aeropilates machine. Love all three.

Good luck with your search! LM

Respected Contributor

My knee caps slip out of the groove they ride in. I did PT for it to build up my quads to keep the tendons in place, but PT didn't work, so I have to loose weight and deal with my fibro that has caused significant inflammation in my whole body for the past few years. I'm gradually getting back to using my elliptical but found using my bike super easy compared to the weight bearing exercise on my knees on my elliptical. They do make recumbent elliptical, so there is a though there as well. There is also the one by ProForm that converts form a recumbent bike to an elliptical. I thought about that one but got my bike and elliptical for free from a friend that was using them as a clothes line. The ProForm is on the other channel or Amazon.

Contributor

I also have arthritis, degenerative disk disease, 3 bulging disks, spondylolisthesis, sciatica, a rotated pelvis, etc etc. I can use an elliptical. The twisting is minor compared to a full twist. Most ellipticals have stationary handles so you don't have to work the upper body if you don't want. Sometimes my back muscles get cranky and contract into a giant spasm. For that reason I don't use a treadmill. I'm afraid I'll fall and falling on a treadmill, I imagine, is not fun. A podiatrist told me treadmills are bad for the feet. I never used one regularly to find out if that's true in my case. A rowing machine is a bad choice for most bad backs. I had one that I used for years. When my back got bad it caused the most pain. My orthopedic surgeon and the podiatrist recommend an elliptical but I use it because I can and because I like it. Good luck with your choice.

Esteemed Contributor

Have a new row machine at home for joints and frozen shoulder. Seems to work most joint areas. It certainly helps my shoulder. Love it. Also have a trainer to convert my bike to a stationary bike during winter months. Use a mini tramp for more, low-impact cardio. At the gym I use elliptical and treadmill and something called a glider.

Agree with the poster who suggested spending time in the gym to see what works best for you. Getting familiar with equipment in the gym helped me a lot. Good luck and enjoy!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau