Honored Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

Wishing you well @fairydogmother . When dieting, it's easy to become obsessed with food and that is unhealthy too. I think the purchases you made will get you started in a sensible way. If you drink carbonated sodas, try to get off of them. I now drink zero calorie flavored waters from Aldi's. When I pop the top, I feel as though I'm having a soda, but I'm drinking something much healthier.

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother 

So very sorry that you are discouraged.  Todays WW has not made a lot of happy people.

The best "EVER" WW plan was the "Quick Start" and you can get the cookbook that has the plan.

You just missed the group we had going to lose "lockdown weight".

We lost quite a bit collectively, but you need measuring cups and an ounce scale.

Our thread has pictures, recipes, and questions and answers.  WE eat and lose!  

"Who Among Us Did The Weight Watchers Programs Of the 1980's".

We were called the "Quick Success" the most efficient weight loss group ever.

Our book the Quick Success Program Cookbook with the plan has a horse shoe of salmon on the front and can be bought on ebay.

I'll be more than happy to help you.  Get ready to pare down sugar and carbs.  Watch the hummus.  It takes the place of meat.

Respected Contributor

@fairydogmother @I'm in tbe struggle with you! Just know what ever you choose to do, I'm with you! It's very hard but, I know you got this! A funny thing...I workout at home to exercise videos and when i put my dvd on I say to whomever I working out with (ie: Jillian Michaels) I'm coming to your class Jillian! I know it's a little nutty but it makes me smile while I lacing up my shoes! Best wishes to you beautiful one!

Honored Contributor

I lost weight doing a lower carb type diet.  I didn't do Keto or even what most low carbers considered low carb.  I just kept it below 100 total carbs a day.  I didn't deny myself anything on occasion, so I still had my favorite Red Beans & Rice every once in awhile, just not as often as I used to.  But, not suggesting you change your plan.  You just need to find something that you like. 

Lower carb was not a lifestyle change for me.  It was a means to an end.  I kept it off by changing my eating habits which IS a lifestyle change for me.  But, it's not what I eat; it's how I eat.  I eat a light breakfast like yogurt with Grape Nuts in it.  Lunch is normally my largest meal, and I often just do a snack for dinner like one of those cheese/meat/cracker packs.  I usually add a little fruit to it.  That way, I don't give up anything.  I get the carbs I crave.  

I do work out though, but I was doing that before I gained the weight.  It's also the reason I don't like BMI's.  It's strictly the old height/weight charts in a different format and regardless of what the title Body Mass Index says, it doesn't take into account muscle mass.  I have a lot of muscle mass.  I'm 5'2" and weigh somewhere between 135 and 140 lb.  Now, if you look that up, it'll tell you I'm overweight.  I'm not a skinny minny, but I'm okay with a size 6 or 8.  I have posted many pics here in the Outfit of the Day thread so you can judge for yourself.  

Respected Contributor

Already feeling more positive and more motivated- because you Q ladies have come to my rescue with wonderful ideas, tips, perspectives and encouragement. 
To the poster who suggested I make smoothies in lieu of ice cream- I was doing this with fresh and frozen fruit, orange juice and a tablespoon of honey if needed. One day I put ice cream in it. WHOA. WAAAAY better.  haha  🥳🤩😂 that's the kind of thing that's gotten me where I am now. 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@ECBG  Wait, what's this about hummus??

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@fairydogmother 

Any dried bean while protein, is also starch.  Decide if you want to give up meat, or use hummus as a meat substitute.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@fairydogmother 

Any dried bean while protein, is also starch.  Decide if you want to give up meat, or use hummus as a meat substitute.

Are we talking red meat or all meat?

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

Years ago I did the Lindora diet, which I later realized was lower carb, NOT no carb, with doctor's monitoring.   I also exercised and lost 23 pounds in 2 1/2 months. 

And kept it off.

One thing I gave serious thought to was sometimes I could rule out certain foods and not care ... but sometimes the sense of "deprivation" just wouldn't leave me alone.

So .... what I took away was if there something I would like to keep in the meal plan, and not feel deprived, find a way to work it into whatever you are doing.  Budget the daily/weekly calories like you balance a checkbook.

End result:  I like ice cream, so I have a low carb/light ice cream bar twice a week.  Not going crazy, but no deprivation.  Sometimes I only have one ice cream bar a week.  No deprivation, works for me, so I'm passing it on.  Good luck!  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

My portion control was out of control.  So now I consciously eat half of what I used to eat.  I wanted to keep eating what I like.  I knew I couldn't change my food choices.  I like what I like.  Examples:  now I have one slice of bread for a sandwich, half a baked potato, one taco instead of two, etc.  I used to snack on lots of crackers, so now I allow myself six Town House crackers a day, 3 for an afternoon snack and 3 at night with my medication.  Helps with the salty snack craving.  I'm not perfect at it, but it is a measurable thing for me see as a goal.  I am down 25 pounds since April 2021.  I don't need to lose more, but at this age (69) I will need to eat like this to maintain.  I am spending less at the grocery store!

I also exercise everyday, but I have done that all along.  Weight control is 80% what you eat.