Respected Contributor

Re: So bummed about my weight

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

I don't know if you're interested in this or not, but the Slim Fast plan can be a good place to start. There is a VERY active FB group that will talk you off the ledge if you need it...lol...and are very encouraging and supportive. Lots of good ideas on snacks, meals, etc. there. I had gained 10 pounds and kept it on for 3 to 4 years. I finally got sick of it, found that group, and did Slim Fast. I lost 10+ pounds and have kept it off for over a year using the Slim Fast maintenance plan.

I power walk 3 times a week and do light strength-training and stretches the other days. I don't buy ANY junk food or foods I can't resist, because if I do, I'll eat them. I tell myself this quote often, "Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels." 

Yes I am interested. I've often used slim fast and in the past have had success just replacing a regular lunch with a slim fast shake. Today I bought a twelve pack. What's the name of the fb group?

I love the quote/mantra. 

Harmonize the World
Valued Contributor

I recently lost 20+ lbs.  It took 4 months. I didn't think I could do it but I got my determination going. I stopped trying to do any kind of diet program like no carb, etc. I remembered how I did it before and went for it.

I have to cook for my husband so I eat a little meat, vegetables, and small amount of bread. I even have a bite of something sweet most days. I eat an egg every morning with half a piece of whole grain toast.

I count calories and write everything down in my notebook. It is harder at first because I was eating way too much and had to get used to less.But it gets easier once you get going and see the scales move a little.

Calories for everything are on Google. I am in my seventies and it seems to come off slower but I haven't felt deprived but actually feel much better since I stopped putting so much food into my body to digest.

You can do it! And it is so much fun to get into  smaller clothes.

Oh, the only exercise I do is the Pilates Reformer.

Respected Contributor

@gtx wrote:

I recently lost 20+ lbs.  It took 4 months. I didn't think I could do it but I got my determination going. I stopped trying to do any kind of diet program like no carb, etc. I remembered how I did it before and went for it.

I have to cook for my husband so I eat a little meat, vegetables, and small amount of bread. I even have a bite of something sweet most days. I eat an egg every morning with half a piece of whole grain toast.

I count calories and write everything down in my notebook. It is harder at first because I was eating way too much and had to get used to less.But it gets easier once you get going and see the scales move a little.

Calories for everything are on Google. I am in my seventies and it seems to come off slower but I haven't felt deprived but actually feel much better since I stopped putting so much food into my body to digest.

You sound awesome and these are great ideas!!

Harmonize the World
Frequent Contributor

@fairydogmother wrote:

@Shoppergal  Everything you said just made me feel better. I'm thrilled that you have achieved success with this- it is SO hard to lose and maintain after menopause. Thank you. 

Trust me...I know.  I went through menopause very early.  I feel like I have no metabolism. But I just made up my mind but I was going to do this. I was so sick of the way that I looked and felt so bad about myself that I never wanted to go anywhere. I'm still hoping I have a lot of life left to live and it doesn't work just staying at home. Not to mention the fact that I was just getting so depressed. It's difficult at first and it's easy to want to give up when you don't see results right away, but keep at it because eventually the results will come.

Frequent Contributor

@gtx wrote:

Way to go!  And great ideas too.  I will have to look into Pilates. I really don't know anything about it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You've made the admission that food has taken control and that is so important. It is obvious you wish to lose weight, to eat healthier and that is a great first step.

You noted that you don't wish to do WW or other "fad" diets. Perhaps a well balanced meal plan that incorporates food you enjoy would be helpful. You might wish to see a nutritionist. While we all know "good" and "bad" foods, he/she might have some helpful tips and ideas. You seem motivated. I hope you have family or friends that might support and encourage you. It is a hard journey to do on one's own.

I have struggled with weight my entire life. I can relate. I wish you all the success!

Regular Contributor

My advice is to find another food to replace your guilty pleasures.  For example, make a smoothie with frozen berries in place of the ice cream.   I recently lost about 20 pounds.  My BMI went from 27 to ~24 (so similar to what you want to do).  I did a paid program called StrongerU (counts macros and calories with an app and coach to help you).  My really bad habit was 3 or 4 regular coke minis per day.  I had to gradually reduce.  Eventually I switched to green tea iced with a splash of mineragua (i steep each glass versus purchasing which is kind of fun).  This drink gave me the same sensory inputs as the Coke (fizzy and caffienated).  I lost most of the weight during the plan (3 months) and I have not kept up the rigid calorie counting (and have lost a few more pounds post-program).  I still weigh myself every morning and I am trying to make the healthy choices without the counting (smaller portions, more protein, no Coke, lean proteins like grilled chicken for lunch etc).

I think that watching what you eat contributes more than exercise.   But, I do exercise as well.   If you can figure out a way to do intermittent bursts of exercising, it will get your heart rate up more than a longer session at a lower intensity.  For example, I run/walk, and when I am running, I am going fast enough to get my heart rate up.  I go faster/ get my heart rate higher than if I did a slow run the whole time.  I think there are exercise classes that do high intensity bursts as well.  If in doubt, though, talk to your physician about a good target heart rate and what is reasonable for you to do to get your heart rate up.  

Trusted Contributor

I've struggled my whole life with weight issues and it's so hard on so many levels.

I'm still very overweight but I've lost 15-20 pounds over the past year or two.  I'm not active enough and that makes weight loss harder. Since the pandemic my activity level has plummeted. I stay inside and telework. A lot of people have gained weight during this time.

Are you active? That would really help. It helps with everything. I know that when I move more I feel better. It would definitely help with metabolism.

Anyway I do try to watch carbs. I don't eat white bread, white rice, pasta (except for legume or whole grain varieties). I don't eat pizza. Rarely do I eat potatoes. Almost never do I have desserts but I eat fresh fruit, and I try to watch added sugar as much as possible. Doing these things has also helped with blood sugar, since a couple years ago I was told I could be pre-diabetic and now I'm not. I like meat but don't eat it much except for lean chicken and Turkey. And I try to eat fish a couple times a week.

Have healthy foods in your fridge, things like carrots, celery, grapes, strawberries.... That will help you. Don't buy candy or other bad stuff because if you have it around you'll eat it. Eat fruits and veggies in season. It's summer so they're plentiful.

I have one overweight friend who has had terrific success so far on the Noom plan. She uses an app on her phone. I haven't tried it but she's happy so that's great.

About the belly fat - isn't at least some of that age related due to post-menopausal hormonal changes? I'm not sure but think it could be. I'm 67 and have it too. Hate it.

I'm no role model that's for sure, but maybe starting with a couple small changes would really help you because it wouldn't be anything too drastic and you'd feel motivated to do more.

GOOD LUCK TO US BOTH!

Trusted Contributor

I lost 30 pounds just by eating healthy and Portion control, Portion control, Portion control. I really learned this after I tried Nutria System. I've always had a thing for tiny glass bowls so I used them. Interesting how your mind plays tricks on you.

Frequent Contributor

What a wonderful, encouraging group of women here. 😊