Respected Contributor

Re: Shunt to Relieve Water on the Brain

[ Edited ]

@lovesallanimals - I have no experience in this area to offer you any advice, but I wish you the best in helping your husband make the decision that is optimal for him, whatever it might be.  It is so important that you are doing as much reading as you can on the issue, so that you, and he, can be best prepared to determine the proper course. 

In the end, it is your husband's decision, of course.  I pray that he makes the decision that will help him achieve the best possible state of health for the remainder of his life. Surgical decisions are not to be taken lightly, but sometimes surgery is necessary.

Some questions are: How much fluid is there to remove? Is the fluid continuing to build, and if so, does this water buildup indicate a chronic and dangerous condition? What is the cost of doing nothing-- i.e. will the water ever diminish on its own, or will it continue to accumulate and cause increased health risks in your husband's case? Will the shunt be permanent or only temporary? You and your husband deserve the answers to every single question you have.

All the best to you and to your husband.  

Honored Contributor

My precious adorable grandson had a shunt placed by an excellent neurosurgeon, when he was 2 days old. He has not experienced any problems since the surgery, and functions at age 5 as a typical boy. 

His shunt is evaluated every 6 months.

Another cherished relative in her early 70s, was diagnosed as having "normal pressure hydrocephalus".
She'd previously received poor advice about her general condition, and undergone treatment that many of us who loved her had felt ill advised.

By the time she saw a qualified neurosurgeon she was too depressed and anxious to make a reasoned decision. She refused the surgery, and although she remained cognitively intact, her overall condition ultimately deteriorated until she became a residential care resident.

A second opinion in such a serious situation is never a mistake. Find someone with the best credentials you can, and discuss recommendations with both of your choices.

Ask around among friends and relatives and see if you can find someone who HAD THIS SURGERY. Speak to people who have had it about HOW THEY feel about their outcomes, if possible.

If you don't have the SPECIFIC SCIENTIFIC DIAGNOSIS of DH's condition, get it, and research EVERYTHING you can find out about it. Tryto get percentages of successful vs. unsuccessful outcomes. My grandson's surgery was very serious, but has a very reassuring success rate.

I'll be thinking about you. 

Respected Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

@lovesallanimals   A friend of mine, who is 75 years old, had the shunt procedure done about 6 weeks ago.  The procedure took a little less than an hour and was very successful.  His balance and walking improved immediately.  The other issues, like some memory loss and partial incontenence will improve gradually.  On week 5, after the surgery, he was given a prescription from the neurosurgeon to continue with PT for optimal improvement.   Both he and his wife are amazed at the results the shunt has made for quality of life.  

ciao bella - Thank you for this info.  This sounds so encouraging.  Our Neurosurgeon is one of the best and I do value his opinion.  Just saw his cardiologist is knows about this procedure and also said it is something to seriously consider as the results can make the world of difference.

Respected Contributor

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  Your responses gave me something to seriously think about.  I am going to make an app't. with the neurosurgeon to go over everything.  Wish me luck.

Honored Contributor

By neurosurgical standards, it is a very simple, safe, and effective procedure. It's done on everyone from infants to seniors with very few negative outcomes. The biggest side effect is the shunt getting clogged or obstructed at some point and needing replacement, but even that's a simple procedure. I like your neurosurgeon for telling you it's a simple procedure. He's right.

When my dad needed a pacemaker put in the surgeon described it as being an incredibly complex and dangerous procedure and had my Mom a nervous wreck. She didn't tell me what the surgeon had told her until after the surgery because she didn't want me to worry. I laughed and buried her alive in reference materials showing her how safe and simple a procedure it truly is and how the surgeon had been lying. She was shocked. "But he said it was so dangerous and high risk." He lied.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Thank you everyone for your feedback.  Your responses gave me something to seriously think about.  I am going to make an app't. with the neurosurgeon to go over everything.  Wish me luck.

Wishing you all the very best.  (Glad you're going to make an appointment with the neurosurgeon too! ) 

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

Did anyone ever had a procedure to remove water on the brain?  They put in a shunt to drain the fluid as a build up can impair your mobiity, walking, balance, even eye sight?  My DH was diagnosed with this and I have been reading every thing I can get my hands on.  Needless to say, the things that can go wrong after this procedure is horrible.  My DH is very reluctant, and so am I, to go through with this.  He is elderly and does not want to live out the remainder of his years if anything should go wrong.  I am so perflexed as to what to do.  Of course, the neurosurgeon says it is a simple procedure - not what I have read!

@lovesallanimals 

If  he has doubts and unanswered questions  talk with the neurosurgeon again or seek a 2nd opinion.  Don't know how many hospitals are in your area  or how many neurosurgeons  or   if  he is  restricted by his  health insurance,  he can  check as to which hospital  the neurosurgeon practices  and inquire abt that hospital's nosocomial infection rate .

My experience is that the elderly with  balance issues  can incur life threatening  head  injuries from  slips, trips and falls . So, I'd take that into account as well.

" Nosocomial infections also referred to as healthcare -associated  infections (HAI), are infection(s) aquired during the process of receiving health care that was not present during the time of admission ."

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals My granddaughter who had cancer had one put in at the age of 9 and had no problems with it at all. She died a year later from the cancer but tolerated the shunt very well.

I agree about a second opinion.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a VP (ventricular peritoneal) shunt put in 6 years ago due to IH ( intercranial hypertension). IH is not hydrocephalus. There can be various reasons for IH. It was skull-based surgery that took 2 1/2 hours.The valve is inserted onto the skull, not into the brain. A thin catheter is attached under the skin that goes down to the peritoneum where any excess fluid is absorbed into the tissue. I am not a dr but can speak to my own personal experience;  the valve is doing its job and I don't even know it's there except for a painless bump on my head that is covered by my hair. I have the contraption checked annually with an MRI. The benefits far outweigh the risks imho. I hope your husband can come to a decision you are both comfortable with. Left unchecked, IH can cause serious problems, so best to get it treated if you have that option. My only restrictions are no horseback riding, bike riding, using straws to drink, or underwater swimming. Nothing where a helmet is required, so I can live with that! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my brothers had a Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt almost 3 yrs ago after stroke. He has done fine with it. The only issue he had was it was not draining enough so they had to fix that. It's under the skin on side of his head that goes back down behind his ear down into his stomach to drain. You can see his under the skin?