Super Contributor

Upcoming Bunion surgery

[ Edited ]

I'm scheduled to have bunion surgery on August 13th. I chose an orthopedic surgeon who only does feet, and has good reviews. 

I did ask him many questions so I'm aware of what will occur. However, it would be great to hear personal experiences. 

He told me my toe will he fused. I won't be able to wear more than a 2 inch heels afterwards. Well that's ok with me because, long ago, I stopped wearing heels.

I will be heel bearing, which I'm very happy. Recovery time is around 6 weeks. 

Anything else you can share will be appreciated. 

thanks. 

Respected Contributor

Hi, Ditzydori.  I can't elaborate on that kind of surgery but since 2018 I've been beat up with appendix and gall bladder removal back to back.  So much oral surgery.  Had implants put in, four took one failed same had to be removed.  Since April I have not had teeth on bottom jaw.  Have to wait until mid August for healing abutments to be removed.  Had second covid vaccine yesterday and my immune system is VERY sensitive so it was not pleasant.  Unfortunately, I'm not one of the ones that skated through.  Had to have a toenail removed because it was seriously ingrown and infected.  THAT was from wrong trimming.

Now, as far as your surgery.  It sounds kind of cut and dry but I sense you're like me.  Like I said, I cannot give input BUT I CAN give encouragement.  I think it's not too major a surgery and I think you'll do fine.  I will ask GOD for His help for you.  Good luck hon. XXXOOO

Regular Contributor

Had bunion surgery a few years ago.  Have plate in big toe and had second toe reset.  After the initial  surgery pain, recovery was not too bad.. Used a walker and had one of those surgical boots that could be taken on and off for showering, etc.  I did purchase a stool for shower.  My big toe is no longer flat on the ground, so that I could walk with the plate in my toe and downside has been my shoes need to have a generous toe box.  Cannot go bare foot.  I no longer have the horrible bunion pain - so it is all good.

Honored Contributor

I had bunion surgery on both feet at the same time way back in 1984.  Best thing I ever did for my feet.

A podiatrist did mine.  The plan was to do a walking shoe thing, but when he operated, he said my bones were a little too soft and put me in casts to just below my knees.  O.....k....so it took a little used to walking in those, but in a few days I was walking all over.  I had them done on a Wednesday and went back to work the next Monday. 

I had the casts for 3 weeks and then the surgical shoes for 3 weeks after that.  

I do remember that he said that if I had been any older he would not have done both at the same time.  I was 29 when I had them done.

Best of luck to you on your surgery @Ditzydori .  Your feet will be so much better. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor
Oh thanks for the encouragement.

Gidgetgh I have a question. You said you went back to work after such a short time. Do you have a sit down job? My job requires a lot of walking and I’m taking 6 weeks off.
Respected Contributor

I had bunion surgery in 2012.  It took a LONG time for the swelling to go down.  I was in a boot for at least 8 weeks and on crutches most of that time  (at least 4-5 weeks).  I also took 6 weeks off--mainly because I had 10 years of sick time saved up.  I think if you have a job that requires you to walk a lot, this is a good idea.

I ballroom dance, so my shoes have a 2 inch heel.  I wear flats mostly except when I dance.

Super Contributor
Thank you.
Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:
Oh thanks for the encouragement.

Gidgetgh I have a question. You said you went back to work after such a short time. Do you have a sit down job? My job requires a lot of walking and I’m taking 6 weeks off.

@Ditzydori - I had an office job, sat at a desk, but of course, walking was involved.

3 days after my surgery, I went to the mall with my sister and walked in both casts.  I only needed a few days off. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Mine are pretty bad, especially on the right foot.  I'm fortunate in that they only hurt in certain shoes.  My sister said hers throbbed almost all the time.  I'm fine if I choose the right footwear but I almost always have to go up a size.  I did go for an orthopedic consult with a foot surgeon, I even book a surgery date.  I canceled it after 2 coworkers had a terrible time after their bunion surgeries.  Neither had the 6 to 8 week recovery time my surgeon said.  Recovery was months for those two women and one said that while her foot looked better and it resolved the shoe problem, she still had pain in her big toe.  

Super Contributor

Re: Upcoming Bunion surgery

[ Edited ]

Thanks,Chrystaltree. I had 2 knee replacement as well. I had always heard the horror stories with that as well.  But I went for it because I literally couldn’t walk. I did exceptionally well, and it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

I’m praying it will be the same now with my bunion surgery. Although with the correct shoes, (Algeria), I am able to walk and work.  I do experience lots pain, however, and because I’m not walking correctly, the pain is radiating. I have a lot of arthritis in my upper foot as a result. My whole foot hurts and sometimes my lower bone on my leg hurts as well. Massages help.  So for me it’s much more than a shoe problem.

I picked an orthopedic surgeon over a podiatrist who specializes in this type of surgery, with great reviews. Can disaster happened? Of course. But I’m willing to put aside any fear and go for it, with Gods help.

I’m glad your bunion doesn’t cause you any trouble. You are most fortunate.