Esteemed Contributor
Posted at 10:19 AM, Dec 09, 2022
and last updated 1:15 PM, Dec 09, 2022

LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Are you looking for cold and flu medication? If you are, you've likely found a lot of empty shelves as the flu, COVID, and RSV, have sent people searching for relief.

"The shelves are very thin," said Las Vegas resident Sharon Banfield. "I have noticed the stock is very low."

Banfield says seeing empty shelves when shopping for cold and flu products is concerning. If you have gone shopping for over-the-counter cold and flu medicine lately at stores such as CVS, or Walgreens, you may have seen bare shelves. But big chain stores are not the only ones seeing a shortage.

Refill Pharmacy in Nevada is also feeling the impact. Pharmacist and owner Sally Chia say she believes the medication shortage is because of our current flu season along with the deluge of RSV and COVID-19 cases.

"We are getting patients calling in looking for flu medication, which is not available," said Chia.

Chia says she has been calling her wholesaler inquiring about the availability of certain medications like fever reducers, pain relief products as well as prescription drugs. She says she was told some medications like antibiotics and Tamiflu could take up to a month to restock.

"With the flu, you have to take Tamiflu within 48 hours of showing symptoms."

The availability of children's painkillers first started dropping in June. After some recovery in early fall, it started to dip again in November, according to Market Research firm Nielsen IQ, which tracks retailer point-of-sale data.

"We're seeing a lot of children getting sick," Chia said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration says it's closely working with drug manufacturers to assess the situation across the nation. Chia says her pharmacy has searched all known sources to get products to help patients.

"We have been calling around to different wholesalers to see if we can get the product in for patients," Chia said.

Over-the-counter cold medicine can help reduce symptoms but generally won't make colds go away any faster, according to the FDA. The FDA said coughs can be treated by drinking plenty of fluids, especially warm beverages, to help soothe the throat.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

John, there are still new moms having a hard time finding formula.  There's quite a system of moms willing to share & search the stores.  In my earlier post I mentioned my DD buying 2 of everything we need & use, we are also willing to share where  necessary.

It's a new world but I'm not taking responsibility for it, all the bad decisions creating this are not my decisions.

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@software wrote:

About 2 months ago, I suggested my DD stock up (not hoarde) the typical OTC meds, like Tylenol, both pills & liquids, etc.

There are certain pediatric OTC allergy meds her DS needs, she picked up 2 bottles of each.

Going forward, we will all need to be pro-active, not get caught flat footed with any needs, not just drugs.

"COVID changed everything"

@software 

My thoughts! The reaction to it is what changed, or should I say, overreaction?

hckynut 🇺🇸

Esteemed Contributor

@software 

I do not like quoting multiple quotes, so I will respond to your reply with this.

My comment of overreaction was to the 3 words I separated from the rest of your post, and only those 3 words.

In my opinion, which has since been verified by numerous followup stories, was there was certainly a overreaction to the virus.

Businesses closed/schools closed/medical facilities closed, and on and on. In an attempt to inhibit the spread, only 1 theory was followed. All other theories were seen as "mis or dis", and subsequently silenced.

Tons more I could say, but will end with this. In my view, and that of many experts in the field, were proven to be factual. All of the above closures, specifically manufacturing, were a overreaction and the direct reason for shortages of many things.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

For flu ,for kids ,and adults, why?

Why?  Because of where it's coming from.....

Esteemed Contributor

As soon as the word "shortage" is spoken the hoarders come out and make a problem worse. Limits should be enforced when hoarding starts.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@software , yes the baby shortage is back/still around. 

I've started to see the posts again on various FB groups I belong to asking for it.

I have a decent supply here for my grandson, he's only 7 months old so they have a while to go.  Honestly I don't care if someone calls me a hoarder, I'm going to look out for my own and when the times comes what is left we can donate or give it to someone that needs it.  

Infant acetaminophen is hard to find, both the name brand and store brand, childrens benedryl is hard to find.

The powder to make amoxicillan for babies and kids comes from China.

It's not a whole lot better than it was 7 months ago...

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

As soon as the word "shortage" is spoken the hoarders come out and make a problem worse. Limits should be enforced when hoarding starts.

@MoJoV 

Yes, but the real question here is when does stocking up become hoarding?  I have trouble getting certain types of cat food, so when I see what I want somewhere, I buy several cans.   

I know I'm possibly making it hard for the next cat parent, but when you see what you want on the shelf, it's first come, first served.   I never take all of what's on the self, but I do grab several.   

Respected Contributor

Re: Shortage of medications

[ Edited ]

Two of my little grandkids had RSV a couple of weeks ago; one still has quite a cough. DD went to get a prescription for one of them. It was for 10 days. They only gave her enough for five days. The pharmacist said they had such a low supply they didn't want to deny anyone so they are having to cut back on the amount each person gets. That's not enough! It is shocking how they are risking innocent children's health to make sure they make the biggest fortune possible. We are all at their mercy and they know it. 

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

Two of my little grandkids had RSV a couple of weeks ago; one still has quite a cough. DD went to get a prescription for one of them. It was for 10 days. They only gave her enough for five days. The pharmacist said they had such a low supply they didn't want to deny anyone so they are having to cut back on the amount each person gets. That's not enough! It is shocking how they are risking innocent children's health to make sure they make the biggest fortune possible. We are all at their mercy and they know it. 

@Trailrun23 

???   Not sure how giving two patients half a prescription instead of giving only to one patient translates into "making sure they make the biggest fortune possible". 

Would it have been better for them to give a full prescription to someone else, and turn you away with nothing?

Seems to me that the intent was to give two people half a prescription while trying their darndest to get more medicine to complete both orders in a few days. 

JMO, of course.

Respected Contributor

@gardenmanSome pharmaceutical and medical products companies may be irresponsible in their manufacturing process.

I read an article about a medical product company in the USA being sued. Allegedly their ethylene oxide emissions put locals at a nearly 200 times greater risk of developing certain types of cancer. Over 30 people living near or working at the plant allegedly developed cancer.

I think the drug & OTC product shortage is complicated. I read articles on it tonight, including the info at the FDA site. It looks like shortages can happen for many reasons, including manufacturing difficulties, supply shortages (including raw materials & components), supply chain issues, quality problems, delays, & discontinuations to name a few. Sometimes manufacturers find more profitable new drugs, discontinue older ones, and then it takes time to produce the new ones.

I agree with the poster who said that pharmaceutical manufacturing is done overseas because it's cheaper. Isn't that why so many other products are made overseas?

A pharmacy director at a university of Utah said if there's a difficulty, ask the provider for a different strength or brand. She felt that sometimes OTC items are in the wrong places at the time they're needed.

Suggestions to help prevent shortages involved more transparency, a rating/tracking system, creating additional national stockpiles, etc.