Honored Contributor

I think I may have Shingles again but not sure. I only have 1 itchy red blister area. Last time I only had about 6-7 places. I had excruciating pain last time but not now. I just feel like krap with headache, achy, left side hurts but not like last time. My ribs are sore. 

Not going to the doctor so that's not an answer. They were not help this time so not wasting my time.

Don't I need to stay away from babies if I think I have Shingles?

Honored Contributor

Re: Shingles???

[ Edited ]

Yes.  Anyone who is not vaccinated against chicken pox will be vulnerable. 

ETA:  Babies can't get vaccinated until 12-15 months so please keep them safe. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Laura14 

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that was the case. 

Guess I will have to stay home Christmas.

When I had Shingles last time my doctor told me I was not contagious?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz  What are you expecting us to do?? You won't go to the doctor? You are infected everyone that comes close to you, you know. Sorry, but until you seek medical help I'm sure none of us will be able to help you. Wow.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   Shingles is caused by the varicella aka chicken pox virus reactivating in your system.  If you are not vaccinated against it, you'll get chicken pox which can be difficult for someone so young.  

I hope you don't miss Christmas but grateful you've thought of others who can't protect themselves yet.    Feel better!  Heart

Honored Contributor

I always thought you should get to the doctor immediately, if you suspect Shingles, for the best chance of minimizing complications.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

ETA:  Babies can't get vaccinated until 12-15 months so please keep them safe. 

@Laura14 

Not sure how old the baby is now but not that old. She's maybe 6 months.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz   I went and looked to see what the contagion period is and, if your blisters have scabbed over, you should be safe but only you can be comfortable taking the risk. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Shingles???

[ Edited ]

You cannot give another person your shingles, but if you are having a shingles outbreak, the liquid from the blisters can cause an outbreak of chicken pox if someone hasn't been immunized or had the chicken pox in the past and they come in contact with the liquid.

I got shingles when my husband and I were on a week vacation with the three grand children.  The baby was around one year old at the time.  My blisters were on my right thigh, so I kept my thigh covered.

All of my Grands were vacanated at the time.  No one got Chicken pox from me. It is not an airborne disease when you have shingles. You have to have contact with the blisters.

If you get pain and are sure you have shingles, see a doctor for an RX of Valtrex.  That medication makes a BIG difference.  It was a godsend for me.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@Nightowlz  What are you expecting us to do?? You won't go to the doctor? You are infected everyone that comes close to you, you know. Sorry, but until you seek medical help I'm sure none of us will be able to help you. Wow.

@ID2 

I just wanted to make sure I was correct about being around babies. I'm sure my grand niece does not want me around her baby.

Doctor did not help me last time so why should I bother?