Contributor

I was diagnosed with shingles about a month ago by my doctor. I have had the chickenpox when I was a child but I never thought that this rash would be shingles. It's a  very small place on my upper right arm about as big as a dime.It hurts like I've never felt before. My whole right side is painful. I have felt at times like I have the flu. I can not sleep on my right side. it's caused my arm to swell and it seems to be not going away. My doctor gave medication to take for a week but it seemed to not help. I have not had the shingles shot but I'm getting it next week. I just can't understand why a rash this small can cause such pain. I know people get very large rashes and have horrific pain. My heart goes out to them. I guess I'm on the lucky side. Can any of you tell of your experiences with the shingles.

Respected Contributor

You described it perfectly.  I felt like I had the flu and I felt tingling nerves and itching on my backside.   Then I broke out in a small rash. I have Valtrex and take it when I feel a breakout coming.  It helps so much.  I’m still on the waitlist for the new two part shot.  

I’ve had Shingles twice. 

Honored Contributor

Google:   L-lysine for shingles.    It's avaiable in the "vitamin section" of stores.     It is VERY helpful in reducing the rash.    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@GSPgirl  The 2-part Shingles shot is not that new. I received my shots about 15 months ago. Check with your PCP for the shots. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

I had shingles on my face several years ago....very painful.  They went internally as well around my midsection.  I would check with your doctor about having the vaccine while you have active shingles, as it could make them worse.  I've been told it isn't a good time to have it.  

Trusted Contributor

@gellergrl 

I feel your pain!  I had shingles four times (I thought you could only get it once) and was miserable.

As @Desertdi said, the only thing that helped me was taking large doses of L-lysine (1,000 mg 3 to 5 times per day).  I got mine at Wal-mart in the supplement area - not expensive.  It was also the only thing that helped my mother and my neighbor.  Please give it a try...I think you may find some relief.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Google:   L-lysine for shingles.    It's avaiable in the "vitamin section" of stores.     It is VERY helpful in reducing the rash.    

YES!!!!!!! I took L lysine and it shortened the life of this painful rash. It also prevents fever blisters..I take 1000mg daily..have for many years! 

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Regular Contributor

It is my understanding that when you are having a bout of shingles you should not get the shot for several months.  I have had shingles twice. Very painful.  My husband had them once, they were on his neck, head,face.  It looked so bad and the sores were there for about 10 days, thank goodness no scars.

The newer shingles shot has not been available here until about 2 months ago.  My husband & I both went and received the first shot.  We will get the 2nd one in a week or so.  The shot made both of us feel ill, flu-like symptoms.

Honored Contributor

ITA with you that it's the worse pain ever. I did not know what pain was until I had Shingles. I know nothing the doctor gave me made the pain stop.

Hope you get to feeling better.

I had a red place under my left breast, 1 on my stomach, 1 on my lower left side plus another up higher. Those did not show up until a week after the excruciating pain started. At first the doctor told me it was not Shingles because I did not have a rash. 

Mine felt like someone beat me, broke my ribs on the left side of my body & set them on fire. I did not have any itching.

I thought the pain would never end. I have PHN now but it's not bad.

Honored Contributor

@gellergrl,

The intense pain you are experiencing is coming from the inflamed nerve endings, and this can continue for many months yet.   One week is not enough medication for an active shingles outbreak.   I would suggest going to see the doctor again, and cannot imagine any doctor giving you a shingles vaccine during an active outbreak.